Home

Time for a newer service truck

Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 01:54 PM

My '98 Ranger with 175,000 is back in the shop, I've spent way to much money in the last year keeping it running so I'm shopping. This truck is a long bed standard cab. I wanted bed space more then cab space as Ford never made a long bed extra cab Ranger. I'm willing to look at almost any brand except GM (very poor customer service when we bought the wifes Silverado) the only small truck I find with extra cab and a bed over six feet is the Dodge Dakota. Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions? No Winkelmann I won't buy a van and I don't want a full size truck, it won't fit in the garage with the Silverado.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 02:45 PM

I have an older Dakota it gets 15-17 mpg and runs reasonably well
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 03:23 PM

You can check out the specs of the various Toyota Tacoma's here.
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html
I have been more than satisfied with Toyota trucks for over 30 years. I'm not driving in the same type of terrain as you are though.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 03:32 PM

My GM half ton is getting 21 in the city . Payed 21,000 k for it .It's a V 8 but only runs on 6 till I need it . Watch out for trucks made in Mexico . Some are made in Indiana and Canada . There's a sticker inside the door . Ford makes a great truck but they cost a little more . I think there mpg is a little better yet .GM and Westport are coming out with a new engine this Aug that is state of the art . It runs on natural gas or reg gas at push of a button . But that's GM . That's why that Westport stock is jumping .
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: LAtrapper
You can check out the specs of the various Toyota Tacoma's here.
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html
I have been more than satisfied with Toyota trucks for over 30 years. I'm not driving in the same type of terrain as you are though.

I agree, love our toyota tacomas!
Posted By: Birdman1947

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 09:25 PM

I have a 2011 silverado and it get 15 in the city and not much more on the highway. It goes from v-8 to V-4 with tail wind or down hill. I expected better mileage than overall 15.5 average.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/28/12 09:47 PM

X 2 on the Tacoma's.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 02:17 AM

We have a 1999 Ranger 200,000 +. It is paid for and keeps on running. We also have a paid for 2005 F150 as a ladder truck with 125,000.
At this point I would pay for any repairs before buying another truck. May be a gamble, but Fords have served me well.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 02:29 AM

Silverado all the way... 240,000 on it and just put my first alternator in it. run like a champ! would own nothing else.

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 01:13 PM

Well i appreciate all the suggestions but like I said NO GM products and I want to stick with a small truck, a full size won't fit in the garage.
Phil I've got a '88 1WD(open rear end) Ranger with 205,000 it's my spare and carcass truck but I don't take it too far from home. And I don't take it off road. I hate to think about buying a Tyota, the redneck in me just insists on an Ameriacn brand but if they made a long bed I would consider it.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 02:03 PM

I've ran a Ford ranger for years. Its a spare now and i drive an F-150 utility bed. But that little Ranger is a Beast. and you can get them used for cheap if you keep you eyes open.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 02:19 PM

here is my goose round rig, notice kayak on ladderrack
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 02:56 PM

What ever you do....find a nice Diesel !!! You can thank me later.

I have 3 and each one is a worth the price.

I found a 2004 dodge van the other day with a diesel in it....for $ 3500.00 the engine is worth that !!

Did not buy it but it still there smile if you want it.

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 02:57 PM

What ever you do....find a nice Diesel !!! You can thank me later.

I have 3 and each one is a worth the price.

I found a 2004 dodge van the other day with a diesel in it....for $ 3500.00 the engine is worth that !!

Did not buy it but it still there smile if you want it.

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 06:26 PM

On a Call I respect your opinion but I can't believe anybody in this business would use a stinky, smokey, oil leaking diesel. I've been around diesel cars, pickups and semis since the dark ages and you couldn't give me one. The only people with a true need for a diesel are people moving construction equipment or pulling a stock trailer regularly. The rest are just concrete cowboys that like to blow a smoke screen as they blast through an intersection. With all due respect.
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 07:11 PM

We traded our 2003 F150 with 300,000 miles in 09 and it never had one major repair. Only things like breaks and tires. We also only used synthic oil and changed it every 7000 miles. regularly. Our new then 09 F150 is holding up the same and has over 80,000 on it and going strong. I am still running my 2002 F150 with 200,000 on it and other then a couple small spots of rusting on the tailgate still running strong. One of our subs has a 09 chevy Silverado and it has less then our 09 and its junk. More repairs and the skin is so thin it dented when a plastic pipe fell on it. He sliped and hit the from 1/4 panel and there is a hugh dent there and he isn't a big guy. My first hand knowledge is our F150s have served us well and last and last a real long time. More then got our money out of them. Till I see other wise, not going to change. FYI I had a new Dekota entended cab and got rid oof it in one year and took a bath on it but worth it.
My view from the lounger
Don LaFountain

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 07:25 PM

What year Dakota Don? My mechanic told me if that is what I want to start with 2007 and newer, thats when they changed engines. I didn't want to steal the other guys thread on the stinky Chevy dealership, but I swear there is no lower life form then a car/truck salesman. I'm suprised none of us lists them as vermin that we eliminate.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 07:48 PM

We also only used synthic oil and changed it every 7000 miles. regularly

What Trapper Don says.

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/29/12 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
On a Call I respect your opinion but I can't believe anybody in this business would use a stinky, smokey, oil leaking diesel. I've been around diesel cars, pickups and semis since the dark ages and you couldn't give me one. The only people with a true need for a diesel are people moving construction equipment or pulling a stock trailer regularly. The rest are just concrete cowboys that like to blow a smoke screen as they blast through an intersection. With all due respect.

Well I have three two dodges and one ford. The ford is a dump truck but still it is clean like the other truck. Is there an ordor yes but to only the fuel.

I have thought about getting a VW Jetta in a diesel so I can get 58 miles on a gallon. But have not made that jump. One of their small pickups would be great though !

Perhaps my nose is broke ? Not one of my trucks leak and I have 300K on my truck and pushing 200 K on the others. As for the smake at a intersection...as long as you change the filters I never see smoke unless I tromp on it which I seldom ever do.

Thank you for your report.

BTW...they are great power dogs !
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/30/12 01:35 AM

GM ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!! whistle
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/30/12 03:12 AM

I had a dodge dakota three trucks back . It was a great 4+4 that had over 300.000 when I gave it to one of my baby's mamas . Still ran good but needed some front end work kinda felt like the front tire was going to fall off but it never did . Loved that truck . It only got like 12 mpg was the only bad side .It was a extenda cap . Went threw some bad with draws after it was gone
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/30/12 05:49 AM

2005 dodge diesel is something to look at if a "dodge" shopper.............best year made....
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 06/30/12 09:35 PM

This was a new Dekota in 1999. It had a Magnum V6. It could not get out of its own way and shifted like crazy(auto) the gas milage was real bad. I liked the ride and comfort but that as far as it went.
Don LaFountain
Posted By: Big Bear Wildlif

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 07/01/12 11:41 AM

I run an 06 Dekota with the 6 cylinder. Gets me 20 mpg if alot of highway driving. It did have to have ballbearings replaced by 45 thousand, but the truck is known for that. I'm not happy with the 6ft bed as I have to use the back seat to carry supplies. Had more room in my Sonoma's bed. That said I won't be getting rid of it soon.
Posted By: D_Upchurch

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 07/01/12 04:00 PM

2004 tacoma double cab v6. Came with a tonneau cover, worst thing ever for a trapper especially with a 5 foot bed. Just bought a Leer commercial aluminum topper with toolbox built into the left side and no windows. Perfect for this job, no one can see what I've got (tools, traps, critters). I love the tacomas reliability, but 18 miles per gallon could be better.
Posted By: Big Bear Wildlif

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 07/03/12 11:14 AM

Agree with D Upchurch, needs an alum. top with side boxes built in. It is a pain to not have enough room for all the traps I need for the day. Next years investment for me. They do give a smooth ride.

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 07/03/12 01:07 PM

I would consider the Tacoma but even the access cab looks like it only has a 6 foot bed, I really need more bed space and cab space without going to a full size. In the last week I've had two jobs that proved my truck size choice, one was a deer carcass removal where I had to back through a skinny little gate and make a 90 degree turn all at the same time, no full size could have done it. And right now I'm doing a coon job using my wife's Silverado and there is barely enough room to back into the driveway. I also made my first attempt at an auto loan, that lady at the credit union was an absolute NUT. I think I'll go elsewhere.
Posted By: WTWC

Re: Time for a newer service truck - 07/03/12 06:08 PM

I'm driving a 6cyl F150.

Had a few in NC. Drove them for about 200k miles before trading them and they seem to work fine. I am not really towing anything and it has plenty of power for what I use. Some people say it's not enough power but I don't find myself with a heavy foot while driving an ADC truck. I average around 17-18 mpg and I hardly drive on the highway. That's not bad with ladders on the top. 8ft bed is a must for me.

I do have a retractable aluminum cover on mine after having my traps stolen last fall.

But I can put it forward during the day and close it at night. You can remove it entirely in about 20 seconds for big loads. Had caps on the back before but had too many employee accidents while backing up.

With Comstock's traps only being 9" wide, I can stack several traps in there on their side still.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums