Home

Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage

Posted By: Mike Flick

Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 12:22 AM

It costs 35 bucks to get rid of a microwave that costs 45 bucks new. So after looking at a broken microwave for two weeks, I put it on the curb at about 5:00 pm. I looked out the window at about 5:30 and sure enough, It was gone!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 01:00 AM

Yeah, and tomorrow that will be the headline in Stupid Police Reports in the Newspapers.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 01:05 AM

If that doesn't work set it back a bit and put a for sale sign on it
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 05:12 AM

While I was growing up in Springdale, My Father always called the people that came and took the trash before the trash truck arrived Jawas, like from Star Wars. They would take anything metal, broken appliances, short pieces of lumber and even pieces of limestone.

At my house in Dayton, metal trash disappeared amazingly fast. I put out some metal framed chairs and a broken widow air conditioner for bulk pick-up, used the bathroom, took another load of trash outside and the metal was already gone.

Once, I had a friend help me take out my old oven, several days before the pick-up day. He asked if I needed to schedule to have it picked up. I told him it would just disappear. We went to dinner came back and sure enough it was gone.

We had bins for recycling. All the aluminum cans would be taken from my recycling bin before pick-up.

Most of the downspouts in the neighborhood disappeared frequently too. I finally just gave up and stopped replacing mine.

Keith
Posted By: Rem22-250

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 05:16 AM

That microwave had $5.00 worth of copper in it and the rest was worth 10 cents per pound as shredder material ( grade of scrap for most appliances).
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithC

Most of the downspouts in the neighborhood disappeared frequently too. I finally just gave up and stopped replacing mine.

Keith

Those plastic flex tube ones work great and are worthless to scrappers.

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/06/12 08:33 PM

Nate and the rest of you, leave my flex-tubes alone.
Posted By: Muddawg

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/07/12 03:49 PM

I do plumbing repair as well as ADC work. I've done a lot of water lines where the copper had been stolen from underneath a house. Just week before last, a complete job where the copper had been snatched.

The funny thing is, I got paid more for putting lines back in than they got out of the scrap. So I was paid more when the work load was about the same.

The point is that they work harder at getting out of work than I do working and I make more money! smirk Go figure.
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 02:10 AM

Sweet !! I talked to a guy last yr had an older working fridge in his yard for a week with a free sign on it, no takers put a for sale sign on it bam gone that night.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 12:19 PM

I'm one of those guys picking up the free money put out by the curb.

$20 per battery, $20 for a fridge or freezer, $10 water heater, etc, etc.

No different than picking up road killed coon and fox IMO.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 01:59 PM

I've got atleast 150 lbs of copper wire the last two weeks . Some brand new . What a ADC trapper needs a large garage just for scrap . I would just stock pile it till winter and harvest the differnt medal when things get slow . The new electronics they just keep getting smaller and better and there's more and more gold silver platinum ect . The price of new wire is nuts .
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 02:03 PM

Here we have to pay to get rid of a microwave Trapprjohn. I've done my share of scrapping before but here we gotta pay to get rid of fridges and microwaves.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 03:18 PM

Keep an eye out...i am going to set a fridge out next week.

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 04:18 PM

You just need to take it apart and separate the differnt medals . Joke if you wish but the stuff adds up and it's fun as well . You can add to your profit if you smelt down the medals your self making them more pure .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 05:08 PM

My time is worth more....but I am dumping one. New one arrives sometime after the 15th.

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveK
My time is worth more

Mine too, that's why I don't go outta my way AND sell A BUNCH (trailer load) at a time for a bigger check. There's no way it'd be profitable taking small loads.

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/08/12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
Here we have to pay to get rid of a microwave Trapprjohn. I've done my share of scrapping before but here we gotta pay to get rid of fridges and microwaves.

WOW, who'd a thunk it.

We have to pay a "disposal fee" when buying tires and appliances, come to think of it. But only at point of purchase.

Our landfill/recycle centers have different areas for big stuff, and used motor oil, but there is no fee per piece, probably covered in our taxes is my guess.

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/09/12 06:53 AM

Need to be careful taking apart a microwave it needs to be decharged or just let it sit for a few weeks .
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/10/12 06:03 AM

I wish someone would steal my ol dodge that i got for sale by the road,,,,,I would triple my money for what I am asking.....
Posted By: Muddy Boots

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/11/12 02:18 PM

One time my dad blew up a chainsaw, it was trashed, My wife was going grocery shopping in the pick up that same day, i just laid it in the bed and she came back without it HAHAHAHAHA,

Re: Using the Crime Wave to your Advantage - 08/12/12 12:07 AM

Muddy, that's not funny. Do you know how long it took me to saw a 2x4 in half by pulling that stupid chainsaw back and forth?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums