Home

Muskrat Barrel trap

Posted By: duckkiller

Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/07/12 01:06 AM

Has anyone made a muskrat trap from a 55gal poly barrel? I have had good luck with floating colony traps but I am finding that turtles like to get up on them and eat the bait. I cant use any 110s or footholds so I am just looking for other floating options since I cant get permission where the bank dens are.

Im looking somthing like this but instead snare a 1 way door or a pipe used like a funnel.
The one thing Im unsure is will a muskrat dive to swim inside?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/07/12 01:55 AM

Not legel in my state.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/07/12 08:36 PM

Certain people have a mental condition that causes them to invent traps and things. Sadly, there is no cure.

ps, could you repost the picture with something to give it perspactive? Like put a shoe next to it or something.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/07/12 09:13 PM

I understand the concept of this trap (i think) with some tweeking i think it will work.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/07/12 09:14 PM

looks like a pop can whistle

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/08/12 12:37 AM

This was an idea for nutria rats from a pond mgmt company and after seeing this idea it just got me thinking how to make a floating trap that would not stand out like a normal trap in HOA subdisions where bank permission could not be granted. The only thing Im not sure about is if it would be better to have a door below the water or keep it at or above the water line?
One way doors would be used instead of those snares with a bait box above the water.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/08/12 12:41 AM

I would think that blocking the bait (1X2 mesh)and setting a colony in front of bottom hole would work? If he wants that bait they will look for an under water entrance? Isnt that in their nature.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/08/12 12:47 AM

Don't worry about the legality Jim. Once they find out it's ADC work and not fur trapping, nobody cares. It ain't legal in Wisconsin either ( And that barrel trap is nearly a hundred year old idea ) but if he gets it working good, I'll be using them.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/08/12 02:15 PM

I haven't seen that one before . Have you caught any rats in it . It looks duck proof but kinda large
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/10/12 06:29 AM

I did not have the best luck with colony floats but we do not have a "ice out"......
I have made barrels to fit in coverts.............

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/15/12 09:32 PM

Well just an update on the float. It has been out for 4 days. The first morning check 3 rats. The other 3 checks it has been thrown over the spillway. So I guess my next option is to get it out in deep enough water where someone has to swim to it, and drop about 50 pound anchor with chain and a lock. Unless there are any other ideas.
I would like to see if the 3 rats the first night was just a first night luck deal or if this is really going to produce muskrats.
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Muskrat Barrel trap - 08/16/12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: duckkiller
Well just an update on the float. It has been out for 4 days. The first morning check 3 rats. The other 3 checks it has been thrown over the spillway. So I guess my next option is to get it out in deep enough water where someone has to swim to it, and drop about 50 pound anchor with chain and a lock. Unless there are any other ideas.
I would like to see if the 3 rats the first night was just a first night luck deal or if this is really going to produce muskrats.

disc brake rotors are pretty good anchors
© 2024 Trapperman Forums