Home

Question About Trapping Snakes

Posted By: Muddawg

Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 12:53 PM

I use to get a snake job every once in a while but the calls are increasing. Now, if I SEE the snake, I have no problem catching it. It's just a matter of getting my hands on it.

But, as all of you know, when we get a snake call, by the time we get there the only thing we find is the tracks where he was. I set traps but have very little success.

Glue board traps get results for me in about 10% of the time.... MAYBE.... IF I'm lucky! Once I found my glue board 12 feet away from the trap where a large snake had carried it and wallowed off of it. I found only scales that were left behind. This morning, I went back for the fourth day to check my traps only to find fresh tracks slithering past my trap. It's set with a cotton ball with a shot of snake lure on it and the snake passed by it within three feet.

I intend to go back this afternoon with a couple of swing door traps baited with live mice. But in times past, this set up has paid me little results.

Does anyone have any better ideas? What do y'all use that gives positive results? Or is it just that snakes are difficult at best to trap and 10% is as good as I can hope for?

Snakes have the potential for really making my business but I got to figure out how to catch them! I need some help!

Thanks Much!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 01:48 PM

I've never found a method I'd bet my business on but if you insist try forced sets with solid drift fencing.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 02:01 PM

Idk how cold it gets there at night but try
Using glue boards on heating pads in
The areas you see the snake activity! I have only
Done it about 3 times but it worked every time
Posted By: rockintheocean

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 03:05 PM

I am wondering ,how many of you who try to trap snakes read up on the species found in your area?I am an avid herper.That is I have a passion for reptiles and amphibians.I lived for one year in N.C. I Caught my first Southern copperhead there,My first Black rat snake .Mole king snake ,worm snake .brown water snake ...the list goes on .Then moved to Fl.Where I spent 5 years chasing snakes.
I can say this ,if you know your species that you are tring to catch it will increase your chances.Remember that snakes are secretive creatures.Many a species that I have spent tring to find I have yet to find.I travel at least twice a year on expiditions looking for them.
If your after a copperhead in someones yard , remember that they will tend to stay in leaf covered areas waiting for pray to pass them by this goes for all our pit vipers.They are ambush preditors. the coral snake would be the only venomous species that would look for pray.Rat snakes , garter snakes ,kings.most of the common non venomous species activly pursue there pray.
I can only see a couple reasons for a snake entering a house, the same reasons most creatures do ,Food , shelter , water.Eliminate these factors would keep them outside. All snakes are benifical.
No snakes make tunnels they only fallow tunnels made by rodents. Aside from mud snakes will bury them self in mud ,loose sandy soil is needed for the few burrowing species.Those species ,worm, ringneck ,mole king are all not commonly seen . Even the coral tends to spend more time under earth looking for its favorite pray , reptile eggs, other snakes ,and lizards.
I would be convincing my customers that either they have a rodent problem that needs to be addressed, doing an exclusion job like for rodents or bats to keep the snakes out of the house .Most of all , if you live in an area with venomous snakes practice on keeping an eye out ,don't stick your hands in places that you can not see what could be hiding,and remember that a snake will not chase you down .It is more afraid of you.It needs it's venom to catch pray more then self defence.This is why many venomous snake bites tend to be dry bites(no venom injected)unless they are young .They have not learned the ability to control their venom flow.As for any one living north of southern N.J. The chances of running into a venomous snake is slim to none.A field guide to reptiles and amphibians is a good investment. Learning to indentify snakes is really not all that hard. Most people still live in fear due to misunderstanding. I think it is our job to educate them more then tring to make a buck from one creature that I do think is a total waist of time to try and trap .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 04:31 PM

some ag catalogs have the glue that is put on the boards by the gallon,i seen alot of it at hog barns,paint it on a pc of plywood lay in grass,make a funnel type to make it cross the board,this has a larger grip sevice and cant drag it off
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: rockintheocean
I can say this ,if you know your species that you are tring to catch it will increase your chances.Remember that snakes are secretive creatures.Many a species that I have spent tring to find I have yet to find.I travel at least twice a year on expiditions looking for them.
If your after a copperhead in someones yard , remember that they will tend to stay in leaf covered areas waiting for pray to pass them by this goes for all our pit vipers.They are ambush preditors. the coral snake would be the only venomous species that would look for pray.Rat snakes , garter snakes ,kings.most of the common non venomous species activly pursue there pray.
I can only see a couple reasons for a snake entering a house, the same reasons most creatures do ,Food , shelter , water.Eliminate these factors would keep them outside.

All snakes are beneficial

I live in Florida and have trapped a few snakes. Most snake calls I receive are fear based and in most cases not even a nuisance. These can be some of the most difficult customers you can encounter especially when you realize snakes may not even exist. I don't respond to many phobic based calls and try to offer long term solutions and not a quick fix. Most snakes are captured in habitats we create.
We have a water set where we use pvc pipe , reptile stones (heat) , fish frogs in the back .

My glueboards are custom made rat mouse size trimmed to fit paint stirring sticks (free) and staples . I can cover the same area with $.36 making three custom boards and laying them down a few inches apart . Try to set walls to work with entanglement in other traps.

Snakes need warm areas they can seek from cover to protect them from raptures and us. Something as simple as setting up some rock cubbies using stacked large landscaping stone & some pre-made custom sized trimmed boards inside - rock cubby snake set. I use boards and exclude them and funneling them into a trap area. We sell them the cubbies and encourage them to keep them permanently come back and set them on a regular basis trapping service calls. So you end up with a landscaping option with snake habitat benefits.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 06:52 PM

I am wondering ,how many of you who try to trap snakes read up on the species found in your area?I am an avid herper.That is I have a passion for reptiles and amphibians.I lived for one year in N.C. I Caught my first Southern copperhead there,My first Black rat snake .Mole king snake ,worm snake .brown water snake ...the list goes on .Then moved to Fl.Where I spent 5 years chasing snakes.
I can only see a couple reasons for a snake entering a house, the same reasons most creatures do ,Food , shelter , water.Eliminate these factors would keep them outside. All snakes are benifical.
No snakes make tunnels they only fallow tunnels made by rodents. Aside from mud snakes will bury them self in mud ,loose sandy soil is needed for the few burrowing species.Those species ,worm, ringneck ,mole king are all not commonly seen . Even the coral tends to spend more time under earth looking for its favorite pray , reptile eggs, other snakes ,and lizards.
I would be convincing my customers that either they have a rodent problem that needs to be addressed, doing an exclusion job like for rodents or bats to keep the snakes out of the house .Most of all , if you live in an area with venomous snakes practice on keeping an eye out ,don't stick your hands in places that you can not see what could be hiding,and remember that a snake will not chase you down .It is more afraid of you.It needs it's venom to catch pray more then self defence.This is why many venomous snake bites tend to be dry bites(no venom injected)unless they are young .They have not learned the ability to control their venom flow.As for any one living north of southern N.J. The chances of running into a venomous snake is slim to none.A field guide to reptiles and amphibians is a good investment. Learning to indentify snakes is really not all that hard. Most people still live in fear due to misunderstanding. I think it is our job to educate them more then tring to make a buck from one creature that I do think is a total waist of time to try and trap .

Excellent Post "Rock," I think if you haven't found this already that many nwco's are serious about snake conservation. I know that for us we spend lots of hours on the phone weekly helping folks figure out first what they have and then proving to them why the snakes are good for them. Rattlesnakes the interesting thing is always the statement "I've lived here 20 years and have never had a rattlesnake." In reality most of the areas where this statement is made, is simply because the snakes were not seen, though they were there, or someone altered some aspect of the landscape, water, rodent attraction, thermal shelter.

I was never a snake guy, growing up my dad was highly phobic, never even saw a whole intact snake till nearly college outside of a book or museum due to his fear.

I do know that I "leave money lying all over the ground" by not just taking the call, the cash and catching or killing the snake. I follow an ethic that fits my wife and I and have earned respect from others who send me calls now where real problems exist.

Snakes and bats both need positive PR and are heavily maligned due to popular media, folklore and of course other notable resources! smile

Thanks for sharing, and Robb, good tips on the homemade rigs!

Justin

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 09:49 PM

Sometimes having knowledge of the size of the target snake and the size of its prey can help.

For example:

I had customer call me once they had a nine foot Burmese python escape under the floor into the subflooring. They had young children and it was feeding time and they were not laughing.

The pet snake was regularly fed young new born piglets every month and it was then day 35. We trapped that snake in one night with its dinner in a dog cage.The snake came in ate the piglet and was too fat the next morning to get out of the cage.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/17/12 10:44 PM

A check for snakes in the ADC Archives may bring up some additional useful suggestions.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 12:07 AM

That is an awesome story Robb! Love the cage! Great visual! I'll take my little snakes out here in the desert over those pythons!

smile
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 12:34 AM

I use the large rat glue trap and stabilize it with double sided tape, staples or hercules putty from WCS to prevent him from being able topull off. The heating pad would definitely make himmore likely to end up like brer bear with the tar baby. I've never done that but I do thing I have had a few barely touch then move off because air conditioning makes the glue less tacky. I have used the gallon of glue tomake my own trapsw and causght big snakes and full grown grey squirrels.
The snake Robbwastalking about would be a fun challenge and probably delicious.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 04:39 AM

Thanks, Guys. I got some new ideas from this.

Rock,
To ease your mind, I'm not one of the phobic people. Fact is, I kinda like snakes. They are fascinating creatures when you look at them closely.

Most of what I do when snakes are involved is education. I always point out the benefits and do my best to tell the customer how lucky they are to have a pair of them living in their crawl space. But, sadly enough, every one who calls me is deathly afraid of them and will not tolerate them being there. So, in fact, the best way for me to save the snake is to capture and remove it. It's either that or hear tell of them meeting their demise at the end of a hoe.

So, I just pick 'em up and take them home with me. Once back here they are safe and free to roam about. Yes, I have snakes under my house but I don't have mice! wink

Now, the poisonous variety is different matter. I receive scant few calls where a poisonous snake has been spotted and have brought none home alive. The last one I did bring home wound up sauteed in garlic and butter. I did run a snake call last week where the snake in question was, indeed, a copper head. I know this from a photo that the lady took of it. I never found the snake but didn't give up the hunt until I had scoured the grounds and searched thoroughly under the house and back porch. I gave up only after I had been convinced that the critter was just passing through and there was a reasonable assumption that it was long gone.

What I'm dealing with right now is what I believe to be just a common chicken snake(rat snake) inside a gardening/storage shed. If I don't catch him first he will be killed the first time the home owner finds him slipping about.

So, I get the chance to make a dollar and save a snakes life at the same time. grin Kinda noble, don't you think?

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 01:23 PM

My policy is that all snakes, venomous and non, leave my clients property alive and in good health to be released elsewhere. My fees reflect that and there are no surcharges for venomous. As I tell my clients I treat them all the same, don't get bit, so I charge the same.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 03:07 PM

Opened my eyes guys ,Thanks .You know what they say when you assume..lol I do know how hard it can be to try and convince phobic people to understand.I was just concerned with seeing these glue board traps ,thinking of the snake stuck in it. One thing is for sure,a lot can be learned rom this forum.I didn't even think it was possable to trap a snake.Not many calls for them here on the island.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 03:08 PM

I have a few podcasts related to adding snake removal as an add on service .

* NWCO Snake Calls & Handling
* Snake Removal 101
* Snake ID
* Snakes, Moles & Feral Hogs

http://trapperrobb.com/wpn-snake-removal-podcasts/

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 04:17 PM

Opened my eyes guys ,Thanks .You know what they say when you assume..lol I do know how hard it can be to try and convince phobic people to understand.I was just concerned with seeing these glue board traps ,thinking of the snake stuck in it. One thing is for sure,a lot can be learned rom this forum.I didn't even think it was possable to trap a snake.Not many calls for them here on the island.

My problem with the glue boards when I first started trying them for snakes wasn't catching the snake, but rather catching a ton of whiptail lizards and other lizard species which abound in every yard in my state. My policy now is that if the snake is in your garage and we can't find it, or in the house, I'll setup the glue boards but they are where thermal conditions are appropriate and they are always checked twice a day.

I don't get many of those, so the snakes I do get are either like last night where the caller thinks they have a rattlesnake, and in this case and it is a great tip if guys aren't using it already - take a picture from a safe distance with your phone or camera and go in the house and email it, or text it as the case may be.

The picture while a little grainy, was easily identified as a gopher snake and not the rattlesnake it was trying to make itself out to be by flattening its head into a diamond and shaking its thin little tail. Result one picture sent, one happy citizen who knows who we are, our snake ethic and he now has some plague control in his back yard.

Tried to upload the grainy pic but inline upload wasn't working for me, ?

Anyway, good thread, and I like too what David said about the venomous versus non venomous, if we all thought about it, what would you have to charge to be commensarate with being bitten and having anti venom treatment and post care? Likely no one would be able to afford you coming out, interesting thought! I only have one price because I only go out for venomous unless it is a non venomous in a dwelling. Otherwise my price is based on the level of inspection I feel I have to give and the amount of poking, peaking and prying I must do to try to locate the snake, if the folks agree, after we've discussed that likely the snake will be gone by the time I arrive. I have a system where I will come back on another day if they call and see it again in the problem area. So far so good!

Justin

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 07:27 PM

Justin, sounds like we have hit on the same approach seperately. I, too, explain the liklihood of not finding the snake that was last seen two days ago but do offer a complete inspection if they can live with the result of no snake found but will make recommendations on food source and habitat modifications if needed. I set a time limit on my inspections so that I'm not there into next week. I discovered that with the advent of smart phones all of my callers have already snapped a photo of the snake and I get that texted to me as well.
Basically I had to find a way to turn my average unhappy a snake wasn't found phobic client into a satisfied caller even if I didn't make the sale to go do the inspection. I now do fewer actual inspections and tend to get more eyes on the snake calls so my catch rate on snakes is up and everyone else has gotten all the information they need to not hold me responsible for a needless service call.
Around these parts the glue boards pick up five lined and coal skinks plus the ubiquitous carolina anole.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Around these parts the glue boards pick up five lined and coal skinks plus the ubiquitous carolina anole.

Snake Bait

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 10:51 PM

For those who don't know, glue boards are a great catch and release tool. A little vegetable oil goes a long way to freeing an unintended catch or taking the harmless snakes off the board for release elsewhere.

I to have caught lots of lizards, skinks, camellias and even a frog or too. I'll dip my fingers in the oil and very gently, I'll work it around and under the stuck critter. The oil is harmless on them and they skitter away fat, dumb and happy and little worse for the ware. The ONLY fatalities that I've had with the glue traps is two juvenile chicken snakes that the customer found before I did. When I found them their little heads were smushed flat! mad That was two that I didn't get to bring home.

And the oil that gets on the trap? After a while it either evaporates or is absorbed by the glue and it's just as sticky as ever.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/18/12 11:19 PM

Once again I have to agree with Muddawg. I found it kind of hard to believe that anything stuck that well could be released that easy.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/19/12 01:51 AM

I just got back from my snake job.

I was sitting at home, relaxing in front of the TV when I got the call, "Come quick! There's something in your trap behind the shed making LOTS of noise!"

I jump in my shoes and I'm there in less than 15 minutes!....

ARRRRG! mad I'm too late! I had the snake on my glue board and when I get there, the board has been dragged out of the trap and the snake is long gone. It left it's mark on my glue board along with it's supper. A dead bird was stuck tight to the glue along with a bit of sand and some pine straw.

It's hungry, now. So tomorrow I'll be back with a couple of swing door traps and some live mice. I worry that I'm wasting my time as with today's rain our temperatures are gonna drop for the rest of the week.

Wish me luck!

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/19/12 03:40 AM

You're not securing the glueboards. It has to be so heavy and secure that the snake can not move it. I have made my own version of the cahaba using plywood and the gluboard gets stapled to the plywood.
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/19/12 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: foxx1
some ag catalogs have the glue that is put on the boards by the gallon,i seen alot of it at hog barns,paint it on a pc of plywood lay in grass,make a funnel type to make it cross the board,this has a larger grip sevice and cant drag it off

Grainger sell the glue by the gallon as well
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/19/12 06:34 PM

I use plastic downspout and cut them down the middle so I have pieces that are kind of half moon shaped and about 10 inches long. I then just stick them ontop the glue boards and trim the glueboard edges.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/20/12 01:08 AM

so what do you do with these snakes Nic ? After they are all stuck like that .Are they able to be removed unharmed?

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/20/12 01:12 AM

I only ask because you are in a region that the Queen snake is found .An endangered species in N.Y.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/20/12 02:10 AM

Nic,

Wow! That's a bunch of snakes! If I could catch that many in one shot I would keep them in my shop and sell them to folks with mice and mole problems! grin

I don't have any down spouts but I've got a plenty of 4 inch PVC and ABS pipe. This sounds like a pretty good idea for me to try.

Indecently, you probably already know, but vegetable oil will take them right off of those pads. Just smear them down with it and the more energetic critters will wiggle themselves off. Sometimes you might have to work it in gently with your finger tips. Granted, I never took that many off of any one pad.

Warrior,

I have some home made cahaba type traps. I bought one and when it arrived I felt kinda stupid for spending so much money on something I could build myself with scrap lumber and 15 minutes.

I've got some double sided tape that I can stick them down with. I'll give that a shot too.

I went back this morning with my swing door traps and a couple of live mice. I'm hoping the one I missed last night will be hungry tonight, seeing as how he left his last meal on my glue board.
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 12:33 AM

so what do you do with these snakes Nic ? After they are all stuck like that .Are they able to be removed unharmed?

Spray with veg oil, they come right off with no issues at all!
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 12:40 AM

In 11 years I've probably lost .00000000001% of my snakes caught in glue traps. secret is????????????????????? location,location,location. And I us extended trap checks.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:04 AM

The only way the snake could be harmed in the release is if you are impatient and don't let the veg.oil work and try to speed the process by pulling on the snake. Put the veg. oil on and relax and enjoy the show of the snake contracting etc. until he crawls off unharmed. Resist helping the snake will appreciate it.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:34 AM

Rick and David, I keep forgetting that you actually have snakes in your area. Those over-sized nightcrawlers that we call snakes couldn't move a glue board if the formed a team!

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:38 AM

Paul, I need to ship you some. I can guarantee that when I come out of an attic and hold up a shed skin as long as I am tall I ain't even got to make a quote. I could ask for a blank check and get it.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:41 AM

I had a job this year where I caught several 5 foot plus bull snakes, I used half cinder blocks with a stake to hold my traps in place. My snakes go nowhere, except to the storage yard(my release sight) to control mice and voles.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:51 AM

I got a short video on my facebook page of a nice lovely that I picked up a couple weeks ago. About a three and a half foot timber. It was real nice walking up and seeing a nose poking out of a cinder block that looked as big as my fist, it wasn't but timbers are some big headed SOBs.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:51 AM

I wonder on my next trip south in the spring .I could use the glue boards to try and catch some .
I Have to say Muddawg,Those rat snakes are mighty strong. Unlike the garters that Nic has in his pics.Constrictors are all muscle.Gaters just grab a hold of their pray with their mouths and start swallowing it alive.
not that I have any experance catching snakes aside from by hand,but what if going after the larger constrictors(native species of course) A 4'x4' plywood box only say 4" high .make a hole in the side 4"-6" Hinge top put glue on bottom inside Then you can either go to the pet shop they sell under tank heat pads ,or no need for live mice as I feed my snakes fresh dead mice or rats .Being how a snake uses its sense of smell to find its food ,drag the freshly killed rodent along the ground leading up to the box.If its a cool night plug in heat pad and get box as close to the last place the snake was seen and as hidden as possable.if warm enough just place box in a hidden area.Two things I have learned from working with reptiles . they love to hide in boxes placed in there cage ,and the food does not have to be alive . but must be fresh . You can buy them frozen at your local pet shop.However A scent trail I suspect would be of the most important.Thaw before use...Hope this helps .

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 01:59 AM

Maybe only put glue on the back half bottom to get snake to fully enter box

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 11:26 AM

I've got a couple of traps set baited with live mice.

I had been asked before why I don't use frozen mice and maybe it's just my thinking or maybe it's the snake guy that I talked with once before that told me wild snakes wont eat it unless it's alive. That makes sense to me because of how many other critters I know of that won't eat dead prey. I've been told that only captive snakes will eat dead mice. That's something that they learn. Frankly, I don't know but it does make sense to me.

To clarify, my glue boards do fine with smaller snakes but these rat snakes(chicken snakes) I'm after routinely reach lengths of 5 to 7 feet and greater. Years ago, when I was driving a feed truck for a local hog and turkey producer, I caught one on a brooder farm. As I was coming back out I saw him stretched across the drive way. ALL the way across the drive way! So I HAD to stop and play with THIS one! Get this! I stand 6 feet tall and with his head in one hand and the other reaching to his middle, I could not lift him high enough to get his tail end off the ground! I didn't measure him but guessed it to be a good 8 or even 9 feet in length. And the girth was HUGE! I'm guessing no less than 6 inches in diameter. I had my hands FULL!

Anyway.... I got side tracked there.

I've not had a lot of time this week to implement some of these new ideas but things will be calming down on me today and through the weekend. I'm gonna go back over there armed with some new trap ideas and a couple of heating pads.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 05:13 PM

Muddawg dead or frozen mice do not have a heat signature.

This is why we use heating pads, reptile stones and a new one for this thread hand warmers work.

The bait and the heat get them on the glue boards and they rarely ever get to eat them anyway before they are all stuck on a board anyway

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/21/12 05:22 PM

,but what if going after the larger constrictors(native species of course)

Native species of course?? Really I wish. This snake was caught in Queens NY by a client Thomas Herrman

For larger snakes you will need help and I recommend that you will need a person for every 3 foot of snake length.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/22/12 04:35 PM

Nice pictures. If we had those up here I would need glue boards the size of a bed and rolls of toilet paper for the customers!

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes - 09/22/12 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
If we had those up here I would need glue boards the size of a bed

Its not all glue boards only either Paul. Just off the top of my head I can throw out two other techniques

1]Snakes can easily get entangled in most any netting, sein netting, basketball hoop netting, volleyball & tennis netting depending on the target size even pantyhose works if you can get the snake entangled.

2] Funnel them into Modified Turtle traps .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums