Home

ground hog bait

Posted By: redfoxtrap2008

ground hog bait - 10/10/12 11:11 PM

whats the best bait for them in cage traps I can get at home or grocery ect? thanx
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: ground hog bait - 10/10/12 11:18 PM

The best bait for woodchucks is without a doubt, a Comstock cage. Our newest technician had a woodchuck call a couple of days ago. It was the coldest day so far this fall. I told my wife that setting a cage when it's this cold is futile. A half an hour later the customer called and said we had the woodchuck. What do I know?

Re: ground hog bait - 10/11/12 11:55 AM

?
Posted By: aprophet

Re: ground hog bait - 10/11/12 12:13 PM

Apple is fair first thing in the spring when the mulberry trees are full of fruit the hogs climb the trees around here and devour them

Re: ground hog bait - 10/11/12 08:20 PM

thanx aprophet Im gonna try apple and sweet corn first.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: ground hog bait - 10/11/12 09:30 PM

Sorry, redfox, I guess I should have further explained that you don't need any bait with a Comstock.
Posted By: ProLine

Re: ground hog bait - 10/11/12 11:43 PM

I used a lot of apple slices ROUNDED IN SALT, Most important is to put trap

in the trail used by the groundhog. On location a trap without bait will work . Jameson baits work well and Proline's Sweet Sabotage (formulated for summertime Beaver) is my go to bait.

Re: ground hog bait - 10/12/12 12:25 AM

Thanks guys, I do some adc work here in ky but usually avoid ground hogs I do more coyote and coon than anything but this one is snow white according to the land owner so its a freebee. thanks again jackie
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ground hog bait - 10/12/12 01:37 AM

What Paul said....no bait.
http://www.comstockcustomcage.com/
Posted By: wacotrapr

Re: ground hog bait - 10/14/12 03:17 PM

no bait, like Paul and Dave said. ive been after some ground hogs this week,used apples and caught a skunk and a grinner, i then took the apples out put in some hay with clover and had a hog this morning, find some droppings and the dirt from where its been digging that might help.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums