Home

I Have A Question.....

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 10:18 PM

We just bought our first pick-up truck for the wildlife business and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide on a proper cap. A lot of you guys have a lot of experience with truck caps; any suggestions?

P.S. It's a Toyota Tundra with an eight foot bed, if that makes any difference.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 10:55 PM

They make them with the side windows that lift up for access.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 11:05 PM

I have used the Gemtop Workmaster for about 16 years. The first is on a 1996 Toyota T-100, eight foot bed. It is still in service, on the same truck. The other is on a 2001 Toyota Tundra, eight foot bed. Still in service.
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 11:07 PM

I have an A.R.E for a 6 ft bed it has two full length tool boxes.the only thing that i didnt like was it had no shelves so I built them myself.If you buy a brand new one I think you can customize it. I bought mine used for 200.00
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 11:30 PM

I have to go order a new cap next week and this time around I am going to get the step ladder hanger. Pretty neat little gadget.

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 11:39 PM

I put eight j-shaped hooks in mine (the kind you buy at home depot for garages)I can hang my conis,extention cords,my six ft step ladder etc..
Posted By: Critterman

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/08/12 11:40 PM

In the past I have owned ARE caps ..I used ARE caps mainly because that is what was available I perfered the duel doors in the back and tool boxes on the side with the ladder racks on top

I now have ladder racks on the trucks. I personally made them because ..well I knew what I wanted .. they are self locking .. they have better access for the sprayers then the caps .. plus the trucks are easier to keep clean (yeh right)
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/09/12 02:40 AM

I have an ARE DCU cap on mine. The driver side has a full length hatch that has shelfs for tools. Passenger side is open into the bed. I would suggest the tool box side be the driver side so you have to walk by it to get in the truck so you dont leave it open on accident as you drive off... Mine is on a tacoma. If I had a larger truck like the tundra (which I wanted smile ) I would go with a heavier duty cap like the reading cap.

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/09/12 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Nic Pallo
I would suggest the tool box side be the driver side so you have to walk by it to get in the truck so you dont leave it open on accident as you drive off

LOL! I do it all the time.And it seems that I never notice it until I get on the highway
Posted By: Charles Holt

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/09/12 02:30 PM

As you like vans Paul this type cap may give you the type of storage you want.

http://www.4are.com/product/dcu/

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/09/12 09:16 PM

Thanks Charles and Nate and everyone else. Your response was terrific. My son says if this trial pick-up purchase works out, we will be going to pick-ups for everyone. ( If he thinks we're buying new pick-ups for that bunch of cowboys he's got another think coming )
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/11/12 01:57 AM

What???!... and lose the benefit of having skunks/raccoons/dead animals in the same space with you??
Look around for a used shell; I got an old DirecTV shell - with a very good, integrated ladder rack for $200.
Get solid doors - except the rear; nobody needs to see what you have inside. It's much easier to break a window and open the shell from the inside than to jimmy the latch. True contactor's shells probably won't have windows.

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/11/12 05:23 AM

Dave, why would someone break a window to steal skunks, raccoons, and dead animals?
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: I Have A Question..... - 11/12/12 06:26 PM

Well, you or I wouldn't. A trigger-happy skunk might be the best anti-theft device that exists, tho.
Nahh...I'd probably be sued by some idiot trying to steal my tools and instead got a faceful of natures' best deterrent!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums