Home

Out-of -Site mole traps

Posted By: Getting There

Out-of -Site mole traps - 01/03/13 02:49 AM

This past fall there were a lot of good information on how to set Out Of Site mole traps.
I watch lots of video's.etc. I only item I am not sure about that was not posted was, how hi/tall should the bridge/wall be? Should it be to the top on the run/hole that the mole makes,half way up. When I stopped at the end of our season I had not had good luck, and I know it is just me. I bent the pan,had a hair trigger. Put new pan's on. Used a bean can lid. I know this is not mole time but was just thinking about what I was doing wrong. I do good with Steve A. traps but there are times when the mole works around them and I am bedding the well.
May try the upside down trick.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 01/03/13 02:58 AM

By the time I bed the trap....the bridge is pushed nearly to the bottom of the tunnel. I imagine that they dig their heads down and push up.
Posted By: bluebill

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 01/03/13 01:27 PM

I personaly hate that trap. I don't have time for all the mods & tricks to make it work well. I think they are the Duke of mole traps

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 01/03/13 01:39 PM

Tom:
I like Steve A. traps much better at this point but every once in a while I get a mole
that will dig around the trap or under the trap. Like with most traps there is no perfect one.
Never found a trap that you did not have to make adjustment to in some way. There are people that only use Nash traps because they do not want to dig up the lawn.
Posted By: bluebill

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 01/03/13 07:35 PM

I use Steves traps also. When I get a digger I switch to a Nash loop.
Posted By: coast trapper

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 01/03/13 09:20 PM

I use Steves traps but if a mole trips it I don't reset the same kind of trap for that mole because I feel the mole is probably trap wise or has a good Idea what that thing is. I then will set an out-of- sight. I stopped using the dirt mound under the pan some time ago. I now make sure all the dirt is cleaned out of the run and then place the oos trap in the hole with a block mounted on the underside of the pan and push the trap down leaving about 1/2 inch between the block and the bottem of the run. I cover the hole with black plastic and spread dirt around the edge to keep light out. I also pin the corners with short sticks to hold the plastic in place. I place a black 3 gallon bucket over this and anchor with 6 inch turf staples. This works wonders for me but I only use it when needed because of the time needed to set up. More info can be found on the molemans website as he sells an adapter for oos traps called the mole tunnel. Works good in sandy soil around t-boxes and greens of the golf course I trap for.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 08/21/19 03:31 AM

I don't have the best luck with OOS traps, but I haven't used them a lot.
I get some with Nash's Choker loop trap. I set 2 Nash traps tonight. The Nash traps are ok now that I found a tool for placing them. I use 1 of those tree planting tools. It makes perfect slots, easily.
People on this forum don't seem to like them (perhaps because they're bulky), but I still have the best success with the OLD plunger spear spike style trap.
It must be the wet year, but moles are crazy around here this year. I have 1 yard that I got my 15th mole in today. I have more spear traps on the way from usedtraps.com right now. smile

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 08/21/19 12:11 PM

I think it is the lability you have when using the old spear traps. Very easy for someone or dog to get hurt. I think we all have our got to trap that we like best. I think each one has its own place where they work the best. Each trap has a learning curve to them. JMO

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 08/21/19 09:37 PM

Probably true.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 08/22/19 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by bluebill
I personaly hate that trap. I don't have time for all the mods & tricks to make it work well. I think they are the Duke of mole traps

Hahahahahahahaha

We catch over 1,300 moles a year with this trap...hahahahaha

We are over 1000 moles so far this year and we use the out of sight exclusively. Got over 85 mole stops active right now

Re: Out-of -Site mole traps - 08/23/19 02:38 PM

No mods and 1k+ moles...
I'd say you have it figured out TRapper. smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums