Home

Squirrel Baits

Posted By: Muddawg

Squirrel Baits - 01/25/14 09:39 PM

Okay. The title of this topic should say it all.

I need a better squirrel bait!

I've used corn on the cobb, shelled corn, black oil sunflower seeds and peanut butter. It ain't working!

What are y'all using? Any suggestions?
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/25/14 09:41 PM

try some of the baits offered by the guys that make adc squirrel baits, you may see a big difference.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/25/14 10:07 PM

My usual squirrel bait is crunchy peanut butter. For me, 99% of squirrels, in 90% of the situations, can't wait to get it. For the reluctant ones, adding shelled corn, sunflower seeds, acorns, etc. seems to do the trick. I usually go by whatever they are used to feeding on.

But every once in a while I come across a squirrel that is just to smart to fall for it. In most cases, just changing the kind of trap, bait or location will get it done.

I have been experimenting with using no bait, just lure. I've had pretty good luck with black walnut, apple, acorn and corn oils. One tiny drop on a cotton ball where they have to search to find it actually works fairly well.

It's fun to experiment.

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/25/14 10:07 PM

Okay. I'll try some of them.

But I was really hoping to find something at the grocery store that I could pick up today and set for tonight.

Peanuts?
Almond extract?
Peanut oil?
M&M's?

Heck. I'll try anything at this point.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/25/14 10:14 PM

Muddawg, we need to talk. I live just on the other side of Dudley, North Carolina in Mequon, Wisconsin. I am supposed to be trapping rabbits and I don't use any bait attractive to squirrels. This does not keep me from trapping more squirrels than rabbits.

If figure that it's gotta be our scent. If you came up here to Wisconsin and I went down there to N.C. we could probably make a fortune. ( I can't figure out how to keep squirrels out of my cages but it is breeding season. Do you suppose that I have the ever popular female squirrel gene? )

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/25/14 10:42 PM

Paul,

I've always thought it to be funny how critters work and how we work with them. What's easy for one is next to impossible for another. Then, at times, what critters we think are just to easy to catch until we target them. How do you catch a possum? Make a set for anything else! I often run and empty coon line while at the same time can't keep the coons out of my coyote sets.

Knida like, getting up at 3 in the morning, driving 60 miles to go deer hunting, dress all in camo, put out a pile of corn, pick out the perfect tree to sit in, carry just the right weapon with just the right cartridge, smear on the face paint, spray on the cover scents, pee in a bottle, make no noise above a whisper, sit there motionless all day and still see NOTHOING! ... Meanwhile, back at home, your wife just killed an 8 point buck with the front end of her Toyota! eek

If this lady had rabbits in her attic, all I would be able to catch would be squirrels. smirk
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 12:17 AM

What about positive setting for them muddawg?
Posted By: Baxter

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 03:57 AM

I use my dog, hes pretty good and the customers love it.
Posted By: opie28

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 03:58 AM

I use black walnut meats from the store, baking section. Jonesie makes a good bait as does Rob Erickson.
Posted By: mousie

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 04:05 AM

rick federation is correct. Lt makes a top notch squirrel bait in eight different flavors. his black walnut bait many will tell you the best they ve ever used. i ve used it and squirrels will go after it in a hurry. jamesons nut cracker is good too.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 01:13 PM

I have good success with Jamesons nut cracker and piney bluff in combo. I always seem to do well with lures that I like the smell of and they both smell good. Like Victory. Put them both on which ever bait you are using.

Always looking for the magic bullet though.
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 02:53 PM

I usually use Robb Ericksons Squirrel paste, Scott Berens Squirrel butter, or just good ol peanut butter with bird seed packed into it.

most residential squirrels around here eat bird seed as a large part of their diet and go right for it.

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/26/14 11:24 PM

Either us Wisconsin ADC guys are the smartest guys on earth or we have the dumbest squirrels. Nate & I are going with the first one.

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/30/14 12:34 PM

After I made that last post, I went right out to the grocery store and picked up some nuts. I got black walnut halves, almond slices, roasted peanuts and sunflower seeds. I chopped the walnuts so as to release more smell.

I've caught 9 flying squirrels since Monday!

They really love the black walnut.
Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/30/14 03:22 PM

I use a lot of the commercial baits listed by those who have posted before me, and I absolutely prefer them in almost all cases.

However, if you just want to try something from the grocery, put a slice of orange in the trap. We have used oranges as a successful change up quite often.

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/30/14 09:21 PM

Now right here is a fine example of what I can learn, free of charge, on Trapperman. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this before and will certainly try it.

I just have one question: What do you put on the orange slices ( red pepper, bitters, extra hot sauce ) to keep you and/or your technicians from eating the orange slices?

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/30/14 10:28 PM

Paul DON'T listen to them orange has NO place in the baits for squirrels NO don't even try it. It will not work LOL you are wasting your Hard earned money on trying that Idea LOL Dirk and Rick Sham Sham Sham on you for leading these poor people a stray.. Bullwinkles Revenge Has None of that in it I mean I would never. LOL By the way no one is to listen to the squirrel talk that Mike had 2 weeks ago LOL

On a serious Note. I see trucks all painted up. uniforms on the guys, We tell the customer we are professionals and that we know what and how to do it. we impress them with knowledge and dazzle them with BS. we use traps that cost a arm a leg and 3 fingers and the customer is in awe. looking at us as if we are these superheroes, and then we pull out a bag of nuts, or jar of peanut butter, maybe a cupcake or can of sardines, then we hear I can do that!!! and many do LOL

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/30/14 10:47 PM

Jonesie, as we speak, I've got a biologist trying to cross an orange tree with a black walnut tree. We're not sure if we'll have orange walnuts or black oranges but either way, we're going to clean up on Halloween.

Re: Squirrel Baits - 01/31/14 10:05 PM

lol I wonder what size the nuts will be LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums