Home

Favorite Pigeon Trap

Posted By: Nathan Krause

Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 01:39 AM

So I have a couple of the WCS low profile pigeon traps and they work and I have no complaints with them.

I landed two pigeon jobs this week and now have a need for more pigeon traps.

Figured I would ask what everyone is using and what you like/hate about it?

I see Tomahawk and Safeguard also have pigeon traps.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 02:08 AM

I'm suddenly reminded of this story of what not to do:

http://www.news10.com/story/5213029/dead-birds-fall-from-sky-in-ellis-hospital-parking-lot

The uproar from this was hilarious. I understand the guy didn't dilute the poison enough.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 02:09 AM

Another story on it:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14077084/ns/us...t/#.UzOIPPldWls
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 04:53 AM

Dang it Nate, I really need to bring a truckload of gear your way! smile

3 pigeon traps just sitting around collecting dust along with excluders and others.....

Need to own my own freight company these days!

I've personally never used those that I have or any other so no feedback on the cages, I do know many guys who
use the standard low profile one versus the larger box styles.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 11:48 AM

Lots of models to choose from now. We have and use the larger volume pigeons traps with the multiple doors on either side. In fact we are setting up a large power plant this week with 5 of them with several starling traps also.

The size/style of the trap will usually be determined by the anticipated volume of birds you are working with, where it will be placed and how many service calls you plan on doing each week.

The pitch of the roof and how much prep time for the platform development if needed is also a consideration if not placed on a flat surface. Smaller traps are much easier to mount,stabilize and handle.
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 12:27 PM

All applications are flat ground set ups. In most cases we are talking 6 to 10 birds. The one exception is a set of bleachers at a football stadium. This is about 18-25 birds.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 07:07 PM

You will find that having bird traps of different sizes will be a good inventory decision over time. We use mostly the large capacity traps but there are a few times that residential work has 6 to a doz birds or less to deal with.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: Favorite Pigeon Trap - 03/27/14 08:53 PM

I prefer the larger traps and feel they get a better response than the smaller ones. I've got 1 of the New Haven, 2 Kness, and 1 Safeguard. The smaller traps have accounted for 2 pigeons in 14 years (if you turn the Kness upside down it's a great house sparrow trap). Compared with the 1000 (+/-) caught in the New Haven it isn't close. You do need to be careful with the larger traps with raptors as you can end up with an incidental capture you might of needed a special permit for. I wish I'd have bought more of the New Haven's as I've been told they are no longer made but thought they were too expensive 14 years ago. I do know WCS offers a very similar version of the New Haven for $170 but I think the next one I try will be from Nixalite as they have one that is almost the same size as a New Haven just not as tall.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums