Home

Contractors cap

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Contractors cap - 04/04/14 07:26 PM

Hey guys I'm going to be getting a contractors
Cap on my truck to protect my pest control equipment
. I'm trying to decide if I want to
Take the tailgate off and have the two doors that
Swing open or the standard back window and tailgate.
I guess my question is do you think it would get
Irritating no being able to lay the tailgate down and haul
Material and not be able to stick lumber or a extra ladder out
The back of the pickup? I have a 6.5 ft bed and I like to
Be able to put a 8ft step ladder back there.
Is there anything you wish you had diff on your topper?

This is how I currently roll but I can't stand not being able to
Reach in the bed of the truck from the sides.

And no Paul my wife won't let me get a van. Lol
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Contractors cap - 04/04/14 08:56 PM

I went thru the same dilemma. I opted for being able to keep my tailgate. Never have regretted that decision as of yet. We run wildlife and pest control services. Even not running pest control services I like the security of a cap and enclosure of a service vehicle. I never felt safe or secure with running an open bed truck, just never made sense to me.

I use my tailgate alot for a work bench, eating lunch or hauling long material as needed.

Always have to be aware of what is in the back and what will fall out/blow out and who is seeing what you have etc.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Contractors cap - 04/04/14 09:03 PM

Kasey, it is really sad that when you are my age, you are so set in your ways, that people know what you are going to say before you do.

I am so tired of the inconvenience of our F150 that I could scream. I need a new Transit Connect desperately. ( My son-in-law loves his )

Tell your wife than when I get my Transit Connect, I'll run on up there and let her drive it. She'll be hooked!
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Contractors cap - 04/04/14 10:12 PM

I have an aluminum contractor's shell with built-in locking ladder rack, previously owned by a DirecTV installer. Has one back swinging door so tailgate is in storage. The great thing about a taligate is that it provides an immediate workbench/seat/BBQ spot. I overcame that loss by building a drawer/workbench unit of lumber and plywood that is narrow enuf to work thru the single back door. Similar ones are available from outfitters; they're made of steel.
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: Contractors cap - 04/04/14 10:29 PM

I have both (My dodge has barn doors and toyota still has tailgate) and not much difference.

If I had to buy another one I would get whatever was cheaper.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Contractors cap - 04/05/14 04:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go with
Keeping the tailgate!
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Contractors cap - 04/06/14 09:40 PM

We have the tailgate. I stand on it all the time to tie the ladders on.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums