Home

rat bait clips

Posted By: Ole

rat bait clips - 06/03/14 04:07 AM

I will be trapping rats on golf course ponds. I am going to try the rat clips with 1.5 coil and fiberglass poles as they should not draw much attention from golfers. These ponds have waterfowl on them and I really don't want to put a oolorful carrot on a bait clip above the trap for fear of a feathered catch. I'm thinking about a food and call lure instead. Do you think sticking a dead leaf on the bait clip over the trap with lure would work even if the leaf dries out in a few hours? Would a small piece of sponge work even if it dries out quickly? Thanks.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: rat bait clips - 06/03/14 10:58 AM

I'd be thinking colony and 110's.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: rat bait clips - 06/03/14 02:16 PM

I've never felt comfortable putting bait on Conibear wires but maybe that's just me.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: rat bait clips - 06/04/14 01:10 AM

I have caught lots of rats using traps on rat clips. I use coil springs most of the time.
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: rat bait clips - 06/04/14 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I've never felt comfortable putting bait on Conibear wires but maybe that's just me.

I believe he's talking about the bait clips from sudden valley that go on fiberglass fence poles. 1 under waterline for coil and 1 above for bait.
I think the sponge idea with some mint toothpaste could work well. But I would think 110's and colonies under the surface would be a better less obvious solution
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: rat bait clips - 06/05/14 12:28 AM

I bought a doz. last fall using a mix of carrots and lure. Never took one rat even though I was picking them up on dry runs with 110's only 3ft away.
Posted By: Ole

Re: rat bait clips - 06/05/14 11:30 AM

I've caught a couple with the fiberglass poles and lure on a dead leaf above it, but there are a few rats that just are not interested in that setup. I don't want to put any bait on the bait clip above the trap that could draw a duck to investigate, such as carrot or turnip, etc. A piece of dark colored sponge with the toothpaste sounds like an option. Finding holes or runs in these ponds is tough due to floating algae. Thanks.
Posted By: AJE

Re: rat bait clips - 03/21/19 12:42 AM

I've never heard of toothpaste used for muskrat trapping.
Posted By: Josh Weizenegger

Re: rat bait clips - 03/21/19 12:55 AM

Toothpaste is a rat killer
Posted By: Northof50

Re: rat bait clips - 03/21/19 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Weizenegger
Toothpaste is a rat killer

Spearmint flavour. or spearmint gum not chewed.
Posted By: AJE

Re: rat bait clips - 03/21/19 03:51 AM

I'll be darned. I never would've guessed. Seriously, simple spearment toothpaste.?!
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: rat bait clips - 03/30/19 08:01 PM

Thats going to be waist of time .. bank rats very easy to catch in 110s or colony traps .. youll end up catching a goose or something.. golfers will freak youll end up fired
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: rat bait clips - 03/31/19 04:57 AM

Is the date on the OPs post accurate?
I hope he hasnt been waiting 4 or 5 years for advice....lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums