Home

Muskrat chewing electrical wire question

Posted By: bjansma

Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 09/29/14 10:48 PM

Have to give an estimate for muskrat trapping and wanted to offer an longer term solution. The customer has a fountain in the middle of a pond and the muskrats are chewing the wires. If I sleeved copper mesh around the cord would it corrode too quickly or is the most effective solution pvc?
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 09/30/14 01:32 PM

Bob,
I think you would be better off with a metal duc as a longer term solution for the chewing
Posted By: warrior

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 09/30/14 02:59 PM

While I'm sure you have the skills I know my limits and refuse to touch anything eletrical.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 09/30/14 09:39 PM

That's the difference between me and David. He has lots of hair that could stand on end. Me, not so much.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 10/01/14 01:29 AM

That is absolutely a problem for those who install/wire fountains for a living. The dangers and liability of such a job are tremendous.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 10/02/14 06:11 PM

Easiest solution I have found is to run the fountain 24/7. rats use it as a float when shut off and that is when they chew wires. remove the floating fountain before winter. Eric
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 10/02/14 10:28 PM

Easiest solution ?

Kill all the 'rats! (and get payed well to do so) wink
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 10/02/14 10:36 PM

Hey LT, that's my kind of thinking. ( Probably because I get paid the same as you for muskrats. Our coats would be really expensive. )
Posted By: Aaron Curtis

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 10/05/14 11:30 PM

They make power cables for those units that have a stainless steel mesh sleeve.....they are kinda pricy but it would be the most effective long term solution. I used to install those units and it was the only sure fire solution.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 10/06/14 01:28 PM

put a penny behind the fuse.........
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 12/09/14 06:26 AM

We need to find out what the attractant is on the wires and bottle it. I have had muskrats travel across a huge parking lot to crawl into the engine bay of 3 cars to gnaw on the wires, disabling them.
Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 12/09/14 02:41 PM

I was told that the sheath on some wiring (GM products in particular) was made in part from a soybean derivative.

I don't know if that is true, but we have dealt with more GMs with squirrel, chipmunk, groundhog, muskrat, mice wire damage than any other brand.

Is this what you guys have experienced too?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 12/09/14 09:40 PM

I wouldn't think copper would corrode enough to cause a problem.
I've had problems with Squirrels chewing up the wiring on trailers. I think it's just a plastic thing, When I was a kid in school, we would chew the crap out of Bic Pen caps, they had a kind of sweet taste to the plastic, but would cause sores on the corners of your mouth.

Another way to go might be to buy some SS sheathed plastic water line used for ice makers, from a cheapo depot, and use that as a conduit for the wires. Not sure if will be big enough for the wires, but might work if you remove the plastic tube.
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Muskrat chewing electrical wire question - 12/15/14 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Dirk Shearer
I was told that the sheath on some wiring (GM products in particular) was made in part from a soybean derivative.

I don't know if that is true, but we have dealt with more GMs with squirrel, chipmunk, groundhog, muskrat, mice wire damage than any other brand.

Is this what you guys have experienced too?

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/rodents-eat-soy-car-materials
© 2024 Trapperman Forums