Home

Referral Fees

Posted By: webfootwhacker

Referral Fees - 02/22/16 04:06 AM

Does anybody have an agreement with another businesses that might help find clients (e.g., lawn care companies who have a client whose yard is being destroyed by grubbing critters, moles, gophers, etc.)? If so, I was curious about some of terms of the financial agreement (% of the job, flat rates, etc.). Not sure if this is a worthwhile path to pursue or if perhaps some of these companies would refer their clients in need of nuisance animal removal for no charge.

What are your experiences?
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Referral Fees - 02/22/16 01:14 PM

I do not have any formal agreements but share referrals i.e.: bug guys refer me for animal work and I refer them for bug work.
Though a fruit/cookie basket for their office help cannot hurt.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Referral Fees - 02/22/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: hvtrapper
I do not have any formal agreements but share referrals i.e.: bug guys refer me for animal work and I refer them for bug work.

Just like above, no fee involved. Defiantly something at Christmas to the office person. Also have been told by the boss/owner of a couple of bug companies the as long as we do a good job, they will keep using us. They don't want to refer some one that makes them look bad.
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Referral Fees - 02/22/16 01:48 PM

No formal agreement but I will give 5% of gross sales to the pest control companies in my area. Its cheaper than a lot of other forms of advertising I use. It can get to be a pain to keep track of all the time. Yes, a lot of the companies will give the referrals for free as long as they know you are reputable, however, when there are two reputable companies side by side money talks. I got the referrals from my best company (close to $100k a year) because "all the last guy gave us was some honey at Christmas time"
Posted By: Jeff

Re: Referral Fees - 02/22/16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell
Originally Posted By: hvtrapper

Just like above, no fee involved. Defiantly something at Christmas to the office person. Also have been told by the boss/owner of a couple of bug companies the as long as we do a good job, they will keep using us. They don't want to refer some one that makes them look bad.

Re: Referral Fees - 02/22/16 11:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess my plan is to contact some of these folks and get a feel for their interest. I can see being able to scratch the bugs guy's back with referrals, but its the lawn guys I feel like I can't really reciprocate (at least not very well). A lot of nuisance calls in my area involve grubbers.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Referral Fees - 02/23/16 01:03 AM

Don't forget moles. Lawn guys see a lot of yards.
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Referral Fees - 02/23/16 03:57 AM

I took in good donuts, creamers, juice and fruit after the new year to all the field techs (the guys who actually give out the carss) and they about lost it.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Referral Fees - 02/23/16 04:19 AM

Posted By: travellintrapper

Re: Referral Fees - 02/23/16 02:16 PM

$3 Jordan? Have you always been so generous?

I paid out several thousand in referrals last year and ill leave it at that. ive got a system that works well for me, but maybe not for you.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Referral Fees - 02/23/16 02:50 PM

I take my lawn care referrals out for lunch or drop off panera bread gift cards
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: Referral Fees - 02/24/16 07:57 PM

Question, is it fair to offer one company a perk for referring but not others
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: Referral Fees - 02/24/16 09:52 PM

If your mole trapping I think lawn care companies are your target group. Pest control companies for other work. I will try a 10% finders fee/referral on gross first contract price not on monthly and see how it goes this year.
Kurt temple

Re: Referral Fees - 02/25/16 02:47 AM

Most of my work is skunk and coon digging June bug larvae. My thought is they might hear the landowner complaints about the yard being tore up and could say "I know a guy that could help you out...."
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Referral Fees - 02/28/16 10:12 PM

$20 either way......if I refer work to them OR the other way around.
Posted By: travellintrapper

Re: Referral Fees - 03/03/16 07:02 PM

Everybody knows that trappers are some of the cheapest people alive, but some of you guys bring it to an entire new level of cheap.

If I get the referral from somebody I'm selling that job. I can't remember the last time I had a referral that didn't turn into a job. I'm not saying it was a huge job but a job nonetheless.

Some of my largest exclusions on six seven eight thousand square foot log homes with Cedar roofs where the results of refferals. Am i really going to give the guy who gave me that you have a $20 bill?
Posted By: Mike Barcaskey

Re: Referral Fees - 03/28/16 12:04 PM

So does everyone write off their referral fees at tax time? I assume a company check used to pay a referral is pretty easy, but what about the food, cash and gift cards?
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Referral Fees - 03/28/16 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: travellintrapper
Everybody knows that trappers are some of the cheapest people alive, but some of you guys bring it to an entire new level of cheap.

If I get the referral from somebody I'm selling that job. I can't remember the last time I had a referral that didn't turn into a job. I'm not saying it was a huge job but a job nonetheless.

Some of my largest exclusions on six seven eight thousand square foot log homes with Cedar roofs where the results of refferals. Am i really going to give the guy who gave me that you have a $20 bill?

From a customer's point of view, I want somebody getting a referral based on their professional reputation, not because they pay out a hefty referral fee at my expense. Furthermore, referrals should be a reflection of customer service and professional competency, not a system of nepotism. As a customer if I was on to your way of doing things, I'd fire both you and the person on took my money to give the referral.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Referral Fees - 03/29/16 02:19 AM

Referral rewards are basically a gesture sauing thanks for mentioning my company...i only give referral rewards that turn into jobs
© 2024 Trapperman Forums