Home

New Mole Trapping Tool

Posted By: pipper

New Mole Trapping Tool - 04/26/17 03:54 AM

Posting photos and a brief explanation on a new device invented by Bob Jameson. (Tool is not for sale to the public yet.)
I was given the opportunity to try the new tool from Bob and leave my feedback. The tool is designed for the Albano Trapline mole trap. The tool makes setting the trap a lot easier.

Photo 1: You can see the size of the tool in relation to the size of the trap.

Photo 2: Open the mole run. Insert the tool. With a rocking motion, back and forth, the tool makes a perfect space for the trap to be embedded. The tool is designed to create a slot in the mole run. This allows the spring to move freely. This also allows the trap to be placed upside down in the run.

Photo 3: The tool size in relation to the catch.

Photo 4: Results! If you look closely at the tool, you can see the raised bottom that creates a slot in the run.

I have been testing this new tool for 6 weeks. It is a game changer in the speed of set up time and catch rate. It truly shines in clay and in hard soil conditions. Bob Jameson will chime in for availability and more details.

Bob has recently posted some detailed information on his website regarding the Mole Tunnel Pilot @ www.jamesonsultrablend.com

Pete Cappa
Posted By: Getting There

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 04/26/17 12:47 PM

Can't wait for Bob to jump in here! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 04/26/17 01:27 PM

I was just commenting via PM to another member last night that I can't get Steve's traps to work very good because my runs are too small for the traps to fit. I guess this would solve that problem.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 04/28/17 02:34 AM

Thank you for the feed back Pete. I have been using the Mole Tunnel Pilot for 10 plus years and have kept it out of the industry spot light due to an already busy business lifestyle. The initial prototype was fabricated of a wooden frame and some metal components to hold it together. I had used that earlier model for many years finding it most adequate.

However after vigorous daily use of the prototype tool it needed occasional simple tightening adjustments due to the rocking stress placed on the tool when in constant use.

I eventually had it fabricated from solid aluminum welded stock. Making it lightweight yet very durable for hard use. It took me several years working moles using Steve Albano's Trapline mole traps to develop a system incorporating the use of this tool to make my job easier and more effective.

It sure makes trap setting more effective and so much easier. When you get older you look for ways to make your work easier. I suppose this tool was the result of my years of searching for that easier way of doing things.

Information and availability on the tool can be viewed on our website.

Posted By: TRapper

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 04/28/17 11:55 AM

Nice hairy tailed moles wink

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/08/17 10:21 PM

Juvenile moles are on the move this last week. Seems about this time every year that they get moving around more. They are about the size of a large vole Conditions are getting more dry now in these parts so our mole activity will begin to limit out to the shade and higher moisture areas.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/09/17 12:23 AM

Easterns are mounding now heavy and mole work has picked right back up
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/09/17 12:32 AM

I was walking across my front yard about 5:00 this afternoon and spotted a small mole scurrying across a bare spot. I used a #10 on that one.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/09/17 02:09 AM

I have only been trapping mole about 8 years. But I have never seen a mole on top of the ground. Dug up a nest last year, that was a first.
Posted By: bwhntr100

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/10/17 01:31 AM

I'm trying too picture the rocking motion of the new tool. Is it back and forth along the run or side to side across the run? I'm new to the mole trapping game.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/11/17 01:02 AM

Assuming that I am following directions correctly when I use the MTP, it's a rocking motion back/forth once you have the MTP inserted into the tunnel. When I rock it back n forth I put my free hand on top of the tunnel to compress it at the same time. It makes for a neat/clean little pocket in which to place the trap. Bob can correct me if I am wrong but that's what I have been doing.

Re: New Mole Trapping Tool - 06/11/17 12:08 PM

I typically insert the tool to align the mole tunnel pilot head properly with the direction of the run then rock the tool handle back and forth as I am pushing the bottom of the tool into the tunnel at the same time. This gives you the initial chamber for the trap.

Once the trap chamber has been made is when I compress the tool up and down against your cupped hand on the surface of the sod to further prepare the trap setting area for the trap.

The directions contained with each tool are very detailed for the proper use of the Mole Tunnel Pilot. Once the tool is used a few times it becomes muscle memory to repeat the same motions at each trap location set up.

We will be shooting a video to be placed on our website showing the use of the tool very soon.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums