Home

Good Idea to ask Questions

Posted By: Jim Comstock

Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/05/17 08:34 PM

Though I am guilty of forgetting frequently, it doesn't hurt to ask questions of a land owner about the history in what lead them to call. Sometimes clients will volunteer info about how they tried and failed to catch a chuck, skunk, squirrel or whatever, which is very helpful, but just as often they say nothing, purposely. A number of times I have gotten blind sided by what should have been an easy in and out that was not going well. Then, after a few days of nothing someone on the sidelines will say, "Mike tried to catch that thing all summer. He had sprung traps, the critter stole the bait and then he wouldn't go into the cage." Thanks. Had I known that from the beginning I might not have approached the problem the same way. Having a heads up on what has happened and who has gone before, family trappers or another company can make the effort go smoother as the smart ones have to be dealt with differently of course.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/05/17 09:48 PM

"Hey, How hard can it be?" Then they don't want to admit they screwed the pooch and are forced to pay someone to do it. Not just trapping, but ANY skilled trade job.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/05/17 10:35 PM

Jobs that have had any type of trapping done always has a little fluff in the price.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/06/17 04:08 PM

I usually figure that they tried unsuccessfully to catch it. I would before paying our price!

Getting away from bait helped in that respect. People stopped trying to move my traps to better places, etc. It dropped non targets to an insignificant number too.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/07/17 12:16 PM

Oh my goodness Jim, what a reminder of how important this is. I'm still pretty green but I've learned this lesson through the school of hard knocks. Painful knocks, lol.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/07/17 01:10 PM

what you don't know hurts more than what you do know.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Good Idea to ask Questions - 06/07/17 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jonesie
what you don't know hurts more than what you do know.

That's right. And you can't stop the bleeding until you know where it's coming from.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums