Home

Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!!

Posted By: huntinjunkie

Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/05/17 08:42 PM

I know, I know...I'm trapping them out from here and 2 other locations on property but homeowner looking for suggestions on what to do to ATTEMPT to keep them from re-establishing in this spot. Thinking 1.5" stone over the whole thing or fence the perimeter is pretty much the only possible solutions. Anyone ever try anything similar?

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/06/17 04:32 PM

How invisible do they want the exclusion? Custom cut small patches of hardware cloth and tapcon it to the rock. Lay sod over it. Rocks mortared into the crevaces would work too.

I've seen chucks move some pretty large/heavy rocks and logs compacted into holes. I doubt unsecured 1.5" stones would keep a marginally motivated​ Chuck out.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/12/17 11:51 AM

Thanks. I'm not seeing a way to do it either and would never consider leading the client to believe it but wanted to throw it out and see if anything stuck.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/12/17 12:09 PM

That type of setting would turn out to be an on going problem with continued patches being needed over time. But it can be done. I would use heavier gauge vinyl coated wire attached as needed and blend it as well as possible with dirt and other available debris and vegetation. It could be done.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/12/17 12:53 PM

Those are the places you just want to say, "I couldn't find your house."
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/13/17 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
Those are the places you just want to say, "I couldn't find your house."

Aint that the truth...
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 06/17/17 01:58 PM

Dig defence the perimeter and then patch all the holes like others stated?
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 07/15/17 12:00 PM

Just about the time you mentioned rocks I got a call from my annual "rock pile" location, giant slabs of limestone. Ran a couple of small chucks into the base of a wall. Got those two right away, and two others that ran into dirt holes, no rocks. One big one got around me as the rock wall has a maize of tunnels behind it, the length of it, with many entrances and exits. Yep, rocks and boulders surely are not fun. Might be able to drift fence adjacent to the mess, just more work. I''m going to suggest they get some large number 3 stone to fill the holes between the rocks to limit where the chucks can go, make them dig some legitimate holes next time, not dive between boulders.
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 07/30/17 07:32 PM

Set my first rock pile today in 82 degrees, now I KNOW why you guys dislike doing that - it sucks! LOL< should have asked for way more money in hindsight!
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: Excluding Chucks from a rockpile!!!! - 08/01/17 11:31 PM

good thing was I caught it within hours, client was so happy and impressed how quickly it was resolved, she gave me a little extra money. I sure appreciated it!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums