Home

Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question

Posted By: jrbb00

Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/23/17 05:35 PM

I am having folks call me and are asking me to come trap what is eating their chickens. When I look into it all I smell is a faint scent of skunk so what is your go to skunk catcher this time of year.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/23/17 05:50 PM

"Faint scent of skunk" I'd be looking for a fox..... Not that skunks do not eat chickens.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/24/17 02:18 PM

Possibly hawks too

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/24/17 06:11 PM

Thanks setting live trap to see what stopping by. Going to bait it with chicken fat and skin.
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/25/17 01:11 AM

let us know how it turns out! have you checked for fur/hair, tracks, etc.?
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/27/17 06:02 AM

He's my skunk catcher this time of year. We use our skunk lure as well.

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 06/30/17 01:18 AM

So far one medium skunk. The land owner killed it. He learned not to shot them in the head. His wife is not happy with the perfume smell in the yard. I was hoping to get pictures but no luck. We caught it on cultured egg based bait.

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 07/12/17 04:43 PM

Good to hear. Ground/whole hotdogs with a day or two taint puts skunks in a cage like nobodies business. Tainted hotdogs will handle most nuisance calls pertaining to skunks and opossum.

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 07/14/17 07:11 PM

I wonder how ground hot dogs and cultured eggs would do for skunks and opossum. I bet it would turn a buzzards stomach.

Re: Favorite Skunk Lure or Bait Question - 07/16/17 10:14 PM

It would be a delicacy plate for skunk and opossum. I would put money on it, that you would do very well on your nuisance skunk and opossum jobs with no other bait and lure besides tainted hot dogs. Just a fact, don't care what any "expert" says. Tainted hot dogs will do a number on them critters, even when nursing. My kids set for skunks and opossums for me they aren't hard to trap by any means, and they bring in good $. Like any other animal we trap for nuisance work, study their habits and tendencies and you'll increase your odds tremendously. That being said, you don't need to be a Dr. Dolittle and "speak" skunk language to trap them like some think.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums