Home

What to do with these bats

Posted By: Michigan Trappin

What to do with these bats - 08/03/17 05:48 PM

The are roosting under the eaves

About 40-50 bats

Capture and relocate?

Cover roosting location and hope they don't move to other part of home?

Any thoughts welcome!!

They are under the two " eyebrows "
Posted By: warrior

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/03/17 07:36 PM

Net the area the as a bird exclusion, be sure to seal/net other areas they could move to.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/03/17 07:41 PM

MI Trapping -

Are they strictly open roosting, meaning no inside entry behind logs, soffit or other?

If so, mechanically altering the area so they can't roost there will resolve it.

Definitely no to the "capture/relocate," but if open free roosting like that, and you can see
that you have no females with pups at all (we still even in the desert here have young non volant (non flying)
pups though some are grown and out hunting already in other species or areas.

There are threads on here about making roosting areas on exteriors to where they are too
slick, you can also screen out and area with appropriate sized screen so it doesn't turn into a capture net
that snags them.

Just a quick note, feel free to PM, be glad to help you with advice on that one, I'm sure others will chime in.

There are some quality bat excluders in your state, you probably know some you could holler at and visit about
this case, I never feel like I can't learn something technique, or otherwise from someone who may have way more time
in on a species than I do, or certain type of exclusion, etc...

A new paper that just came out is showing summer transmission is able to happen for white-nose syndrome, just another
reason to not handle or capture the bat colony, along with many other reasons. We get tons of porch roosting bats here
that are night roosts only but folks get buildup of guano and urine streaking on exteriors, so I do almost as much of that
type of roost as the kind in attics or behind exteriors.

We don't start exclusion till August 15 here when our maternity season for flying pups at least is complete. Prior to that
bad things happen to bats and clients if we try to exclude or someone else does which ends with a call to us or others to fix
a DIY job or a job from someone who decided there wasn't a concern for maternity season issues.

Best,

Justin

ps. more description of the issue at hand would be good for those reading to comment better for you.

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/03/17 08:51 PM

Thx

They are there during daytime. I think there may be a small cavity in the soffit.

How would you proceed to get the bats to leave roost so you can complete the installation of deterrent
Posted By: DaveK

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/03/17 10:37 PM

Bat are most certainly getting in that Michigan home.
https://youtu.be/ZbxkEsUR4SM
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/08/17 02:12 AM

Because of pups, we can't exclude until Labor Day here in NC.
Check for pups first, if none, hang a tarp/sheet/so it hangs 4-6 feet below their roost site.
After a few days-week go back to make sure they are gone, roosting elsewhere.
Then install invisible netting as a deterrent.
IF PUPS, you should wait until they can fly (Labor Day-ish) and hunt, THEN exclude.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/08/17 12:01 PM

If you can't see them there during day light hours, then they are in structure, you will need to exclude them the proper way or hire a bat professional that knows how to deal with log homes and bats.
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/09/17 11:36 PM

After you catch em have a BBQ. wink

Re: What to do with these bats - 08/10/17 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jonesie
If you can't see them there during day light hours, then they are in structure, you will need to exclude them the proper way or hire a bat professional that knows how to deal with log homes and bats.

They are packed in under the eaves and easy to see during the day. I estimate 30-40 bats
Lots of guano below them so they've been there a while. Building was a vacation place but homeowner is remodeling now
© 2024 Trapperman Forums