Home

What's doing this damage?

Posted By: mydogisscout

What's doing this damage? - 08/18/17 09:32 PM

Something is digging on the greens of a golf course I trap for, there's about 100-200 holes spread out over the entire green. Each hole looks to be the size of a half dollar and 1 1/2" deep. It could be skunks, but it's not the damage I'm used to seeing from stinkers. I tried to upload a pic but it's not working on my phone.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/18/17 09:40 PM

Grubbing skunk holes look like that... getting some heavy grubbing right now here with lots of litters out cruising for vittles!
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/18/17 11:01 PM

Sounds like skunks here also. Coons tear up big chunks of sod.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/19/17 03:36 AM

Grubs are normally deep in the soil this time of year, but greens are watered daily, so they can thrive shallow. The greens keeper needs to apply a grub killing pesticide. Skunks don't usually dig holes unless they smell a grub.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/19/17 08:47 PM

I know they're not supposed to be that far north, but it sure sounds like armadillos to me. Can you put a camera?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/19/17 10:29 PM

The supers of the course usually treat their greens more aggressively then the fairways with a product called "Merit" to kill the grub larve when they are small enough to get a lethal dose. Rain however plays a big role in distribution of the material throughout the soil for good control.

So I am skeptical of the damage being caused by a skunk. They would have to have found some food reward to keep digging for them as you describe. The greens are usually heavy sand content for a large part and not a real conducive base for a bad grub infestation.

I would suggest a camera as well to determine for sure and if it is only nocturnal damage or daytime damage or both. I have seen crows around these parts cause damage at times.
Posted By: mydogisscout

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/21/17 03:11 AM

Greens got treated for the first time on my recommendation and no other green has been damaged. We're also hunting skunks nightly with our Gamo air rifles.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: What's doing this damage? - 08/21/17 12:30 PM

skunks digging for worms would be my guess. happens every spring and fall and when we have a lot of rain here in my area in peoples yards.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums