Home

"Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap

Posted By: BigBob

"Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap - 08/27/17 09:34 PM

Anybody have any experience with them?
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: "Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap - 08/31/17 01:52 AM

With any kind of foot snare, be prepared to handle a live struggling deer. Beware, those hind legs and hooves can hurt you. Sharp hooves can cut you open like a knife.

Dave
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: "Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap - 08/31/17 01:59 PM

When I release deer caught by the leg I take everything with a point out of my pockets in case I'm rolled and I drive the deer to the end of the cable with their leg extended. Sometimes cable with wrap around a sapling if I'm lucky. I come in crouched with my free arm to block as I swoop in with cutters to free them while hoping I'm having a lucky day.

When we did helicopter deer captures we called those back legs jackhammers. Bucks are big and stronger, but we much rather deal with a buck than a doe. Bucks have built in handles. Does don't give you much to hold, and they can easily give you Bubba teeth when they start swinging that slick head.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: "Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap - 08/31/17 02:10 PM

I'd like to know how they perform compared to Belisle foot snares.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: "Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap - 08/31/17 07:57 PM

According to the Video that came with it, Sprinkling Dried Carrion around the set, (I have 5 buckets of it), will keep Deer away from the set, and draw Predators in, Yotes, Cats etc, and of course the target, Ferral Hogs.
Posted By: J.Kelly

Re: "Hold-A"Hog" snare/trap - 08/31/17 11:05 PM

I've used them with some success. I was setting them on telephone poles that the hogs had been rubbing on. I sprayed some used motor oil and diesel mixture on them to keep them fresh. Once hogs were using them regularly I placed a trap next to the post.
I did have several misfires but connected as well. The snares could get expensive if they are worn beyond being able to reuse which mine were. I would recommend using them as just another tool in a hog trappers arsenal.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums