Home

best trap for skunks?

Posted By: pass-thru

best trap for skunks? - 08/30/17 04:18 AM

What is the best trap for skunks? Are the sprayless tube traps any good? Do they have as good of a success rate as regular cages?

Thanks.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: best trap for skunks? - 08/30/17 05:16 AM

Imo, the best trap is a covered cage trap with a piece of rubber. Last skunk job the homeowner offered me a tube trap for skunks that he was unsuccessful trapping on his property. I used it on the job along with cages all baited the same way and the cages took all three skunks. Wont use it for open trapping but I could see a use for it in tight quarters where you couldn't get a cage to intercept them.

Posted By: sgs

Re: best trap for skunks? - 08/30/17 07:28 AM

The Safeguard 54124 Pro 7x8x24, covered, is my go to trap for skunks.

The sprayless traps will work but no better than a covered cage.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: best trap for skunks? - 08/30/17 11:18 AM

what ever trap I have in the truck big, little, coverd, uncovered, single door, double door
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: best trap for skunks? - 08/31/17 06:59 PM

I've used the tubes more this year (my own version, with an screened back. I've noticed that I catch YOY just fine, but the adults are almost always in cages. I never use only tubes at a job for that reason. They do have their place though.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: best trap for skunks? - 08/31/17 11:36 PM

I also use tube traps for skunks. However, I made some out of 8 in.tube. Works much better on big skunks that the 6 in. size. jmo
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/01/17 07:04 PM

So I went with these:

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/PROD.html?Product_Code=AAC2477

I hope I chose wisely.

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/01/17 08:34 PM

Waste of money. Nice looking trap though. Jmo
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/02/17 01:13 AM

I like the 9x9 plastic catch. Or a good cage trap. With the tube traps you will miss all the coon and large possum. A xxxL coon will cram its self in a 9x9 plastic catch and ground hogs love them. They get real hot in the summertime. That's the only drawback to them. The trap u purchased looks nice and should do the job.
Posted By: sgs

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/02/17 09:27 AM

Nice looking trap. Should last forever. I think I'd be tempted to paint a camouflage pattern on it.

In the description, they say it's 7x7. In the specs, they call it 11x11. I wonder which it is.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/02/17 11:02 AM

counting the mesh squares it's 7x7
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/02/17 09:36 PM

Open up the back of the plastic trap, 2"- 4"sq. hole and put 1/2 wire over hole from back. It allows the skunks to see thru like a cage trap and allows that important air flow for summer. Saw pictures on this site, search skunk traps.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/03/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TDHP

how is that trap a waste of money?
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/03/17 06:46 PM

It's not. The first animal will pay for it.

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/03/17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: iayogi17
Originally Posted By: TDHP

how is that trap a waste of money?

I'm sorry sir the thread is asking for opinions because there is no (best) trap, you can use any trap to trap skunks. The best trap would be the one that works for you. Now this is just my opinion again but having confidence while handling skunks goes a long way. I use a piece of rubber that serves the same purpose as the solid wall and it takes 2 seconds to remove the rubber to use that cage for another animal so it serves as a dual-purpose universal option. $78 plus shipping? It's a waste of money in my book. Different strokes for different folks.

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/05/17 07:22 PM

Do you put a board under it? That 1"x1" wire can allow for a lot of dirt pulled in.
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/06/17 10:48 PM

Sorry to go off subject but is there a way to keep the little ones from spraying? I have caught 11 this summer and I have had 3 little ones that spray and I don't mind the smell but it is kinda annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pm me if more details are needed.
Thank you
Terrence Jefferson

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/07/17 03:11 AM

I keep the cages covered while walking slow and steady, no sudden movements while handling the cages. Make sure the cage is secure so it's not moving around during transport. Imo, it's all repetition, the more you handle them it becomes second nature. Key is keeping them covered and try to remove during early morning hours if possible. Sometimes you just have to take the hits, it's part of the business. Most of the time when the hits come, it makes for good shop talk.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/09/17 11:25 PM

Good advice, TDHP. Do you get any chewing/tearing of the rubber?

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/10/17 03:35 AM

No, I don't completely wrap the trap with rubber. The bottom is exposed. Haven't had any issues using this method it works and works good.
Posted By: DezertTrapper

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/12/17 01:11 AM

Where can you obtain rubber in sheets like that?

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/12/17 09:39 AM

Home depot and lowes has shower under layment which is rubber. 4'x however wide you want it very good price

Re: best trap for skunks? - 09/12/17 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: DezertRattAnnie
Where can you obtain rubber in sheets like that?

Get all my rubber and sealants through a contractor I know who does rubber roofing. Been using that same sheet for a few years now. I would imagine any lumber/big box stores would carry it. I use rubber for the convenience that it's easy to wash off. Another great material to use is tyvek or house wrap if you will. You could get an abundance of it on construction sites, they're all about saving space in their dumpsters,just ask first. Any type of material will suffice.

Don't take my comment personal, if anyone is out looking for (specialized skunk proof traps) which believe me there is no such thing. By all means buy them. I handle quite a few skunk on my adc line and the kids set for them during the season, an extra step doesn't bother me. Believe it or not I'm not wasting time by using rubber either. Just my preference, rather put that type of money into something that would really benefit me verses something I could make and have the same results or better.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums