Home

Moles

Posted By: dewayne

Moles - 10/29/17 12:57 PM

Does anyone know of a good book to learn moles and mole trapping? I have trapped moles but I need to know a lot more about them than I do. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 02:41 PM

Wildlife control supplies has both books and video on mole trapping. There are youtube mole trapping videos, depending on trap your using, trapline mole traps has videos on how to use there trap on there site and out of sight trap videos on youtube
Posted By: WPS

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 03:01 PM

I agree with Kurt....WCS has some info available.
I would just check out Josh's youtube videos...look for "Mr151josh" and subscribe to his videos or Stephen Albano's videos
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 03:13 PM

Pm me...i do on the job mole trapping instruction on my own customers...we are just over 1,150 moles caught this season

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 04:04 PM

Thanks for info. I have looked at a lot them videos and they are good. The moles I’m trapping right now are not leaving any mounds and the tunnels are zig zagging every where. I did catch one there this morning but I’m trying to understand the moles thinking.
Posted By: Aggie73

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 05:23 PM

I'd also suggest that you utilize the Search and Archives functions here on this forum and look for mole trapping advice. Copy and paste questions/advice that pertain to you for future reference. Also, Google "The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread/ADC Forum/Trapperman Forum" for some great pro advice on mole trapping.

Moles in southern climates are gonna throw less mounds than in other parts of their range. Of course, the dirt has to go somewhere when they are digging their deeper dens or when the insects they're after go deeper in the soil due to colder or hotter weather, thus the mounds. I enjoy exploring mole mounds looking for these deeper tunnels and is where I exclusively use the Albano's Trapline Mole Trap upside down. Otherwise, I have better luck trapping moles on their surface/feeding runs (raised ridges on top of the soil) using the upgraded OOS or Talpex scissor tarps.

Study the zig zag runs you mention and trap there only as a last resort. Somewhere there's a straighter run leading to or from the zig zags, either to the base of a tree, flowerbed, foundation wall, fence, driveway, or sidewalk. That's where you need to focus your trapping efforts on!!! Good luck!

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 05:36 PM

Thanks on the info.

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 08:36 PM

Dewayne,
What brand traps are you using?

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 08:40 PM

Trapline Products and Victor OOS.

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 09:04 PM

same traps here... I primarily use the trapline as the OOS are bulky to drag around..
What I have learned here on this forum is to place the trapline trap upside down. I have had huge success using this method, I would say probably double my capture rate. I only use the OOS when I run out of trapline traps.

Re: Moles - 10/29/17 09:48 PM

Thanks for yall’s help

Re: Moles - 10/30/17 12:57 AM

I currently have over 300 oos in the ground. Most guys will set an average of 4-6 oos traps per mole they try to catch...my techs are trained to set 1-2 per mole...majority of catches are within a few hours...knowing the right run is key and they can be found quickly

Re: Moles - 10/30/17 01:11 AM

TRapper I don’t know how to tell how many moles there are. I do know that some times I catch one mole and I see all activity stop. But I don’t know how to tell how many is in a spot. I wish I did.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Moles - 10/30/17 02:50 AM

I have never caught a mole setting the trap upside down. So I stop trying. I must be doing something wrong! I am using trapline traps.
Posted By: Aggie73

Re: Moles - 10/30/17 02:46 PM

As you have now found out, your initial question resulted in many good and varied advice. You've received info from folks that trap moles from one end of the country (world) to the other. Mole subspecies and density, location, climate, soil types, traps used, trapping techniques, experience, etc. thus will also vary. Putting traps in the ground and experience along with a little research as you've done here will be your best teacher.

The only reason I started using using the Trapline trap "upside down" (learned here on this forum) was due to dig unders in the sandy soil in my area. I rarely use this trap on surface/foraging runs common in sandier soils. The OOS and the Talpex scissor traps are my go to traps for these type of mole runs.

One mole can do lots of damage. Plus moles from adjoining properties will re-colonize the tunnels/dens of your just caught mole, eventually! Level the strategic runs mentioned previously or parts thereof. If these surface runs "puff" back up, your know you still got moles. I mostly leave traps set for no more than 3 days and is what works for me.

Re: Moles - 10/30/17 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it all.

Re: Moles - 10/31/17 02:46 PM

Here in iowa average moles per acre can be 3-5. When u are looking at the mole damage...u need to see where the tunnels come from and where they go to...look at the damage facing away from the sun and facing into the sun...they will look much different. I prefer to face the sun as the damage will appear better and i can track the runs. If they all connect then you likely only have 1 mole...there are variables yes

Re: Moles - 10/31/17 05:11 PM

Thank you for the info.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums