Home

Spider deterrents for woodpeckers

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/18/17 08:13 PM

Have any of you used the battery operated spider that is sold for woodpecker scare tactics. If so, has it been effective for you and what kind of realistic active battery life can be expected when the device is left outdoors year round. Do they last very long even with proper mounting practices as far as their functioning properly.
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/19/17 05:06 PM

I had a friend install some(homewner, not a wildlife guy). I believe the packaging suggests that you run a fishing line tied off at the ground through an eyelet installed near the soffit/fascia. That way you can lower the spider to change the batteries without getting out a ladder.

We talked about them right after install so I don't have an idea on battery life but he did say that the motion sensor was very sensitive and would go off whenever he was on the riding lawn mower in the back yard.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/20/17 03:10 AM

if the unit gets wet after a decent rain they will short out...i have used them with success on woodpeckers but the battery life is short as like bob said...they are very sensitive and doesn't take much noise to set them off. Definitely not a year round product...i would say 1-2 weeks at most
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/21/17 11:36 AM

Do you know about these for woodpeckers? https://www.facebook.com/IntimidatorBird...hc_location=ufi You can get them at tomahawk traps. The facebook page has video of them installed
Kurt Temple
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/21/17 01:13 PM

I have used and make reflective spinning deterrents. They work fairly well on some jobs however you get one every now and then that they just don't work very well. I will see how well the spiders work over the next few months.
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/22/17 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
I have used and make reflective spinning deterrents. They work fairly well on some jobs however you get one every now and then that they just don't work very well. I will see how well the spiders work over the next few months.

Had a job this fall where the woodpeckers were perching on the spinners I'd installed a year ago (the spinners worked on the first job) Spider has been sitting in the original packaging on a shelf in my shop for a couple of months now. ;-)
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Spider deterrents for woodpeckers - 11/23/17 04:02 AM

Spiders will scare the crap out of your wife i can promise you that. Also a good way to get in the dog house very fast
© 2024 Trapperman Forums