Home

Snare question . OKLAHOMA

Posted By: Ken Smith

Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/03/18 12:01 AM

In Oklahoma a snare has to have a stop to prevent it from closing to 10" circumference which comes out to 3.18" diameter. I know that a live catch coyote snare is 3.5" diameter..
So will 3.18" be enough to kill the coyotes on the snare or will I have a large amount of live animals to deal with?

New to snaring and ADC work.
Thanks for the info.
Ken Smith
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/03/18 01:43 AM

can't seem to find Oklahoma trapping regulations anywhere online, so I have to say it depends.
In WI the minimum stop is set to 8" length which makes a loop of 2 1/2 " diameter. the small diameter stop is also called a deer stop. it lets a deer leg slip out of the loop. Also, in WI there needs to be a relaxing washer, which makes the device a cable restraint, not a snare, and therefore it is meant not to kill an animal, but only to hold it in place.
So I would say check your regulations, if there is a relaxing washer mandatory, then you probably will find your coyote alive.

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/03/18 02:17 AM

The regs .. https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/nco2.htm

The section that allows snars for a NWCO:

4) The NWCO may use snares (snares set on or just above ground level shall be equipped with a locking device that prevents the loop from closing to a circumference less than 10 inches. Snares set above ground such as in an attic do not need the loop restriction).
Posted By: Kurt in Va

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/03/18 01:05 PM

https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/circumference

Just input your number you want converted

Snare shop can make them for you
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/04/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Smith
The regs .. https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/nco2.htm

The section that allows snars for a NWCO:

4) The NWCO may use snares (snares set on or just above ground level shall be equipped with a locking device that prevents the loop from closing to a circumference less than 10 inches. Snares set above ground such as in an attic do not need the loop restriction).

Hound stop, Our trapping laws suck.

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/04/18 02:15 AM

Yep. Yet it's still called a snare so I was hoping that this stop would be more of a deer stop than a yote stop.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/04/18 03:15 AM

I probably ain't following this or the other thread the best , but I would think if you can use a lock like a slim lock , you'll be having the results your looking for .
Just a guess !

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/04/18 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13

I probably ain't following this or the other thread the best , but I would think if you can use a lock like a slim lock , you'll be having the results your looking for .
Just a guess !

Yep it seems that any lock or spring is acceptable, the only restriction is the stop. It's still 1.5" away from being considered a live catch snare, so I figure worth the right lock and spring I'll gain a little bit of space and have consistently dead yotes.

I'll check those slim locks out.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/04/18 08:12 PM

Depends if u can set in an entanglement situation or not...i didnt read the whole post...if no entanglement use 8 foot snare if possible as will have less chewouts

Re: Snare question . OKLAHOMA - 01/09/18 01:19 PM

The only restriction I can find in the NWCO course is for a cable restraint in that case because it is keeping an animal alive you cannot use any entanglement.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums