Home

Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles?

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 04/26/18 02:40 PM

These buggers are hard to pattern, Any help Appreciated!
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 04/26/18 11:05 PM

I'm of no help, but a discussion about their habits and ways they are a nuisance would be of interest and hopefully help address NE Wildlife's question.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 04/27/18 12:31 AM

I only get calls for them in the spring and only in vey wet ground as they are very aquatic, I have
Even cought them in a mink/ bottom edge set before on accident in a stream. But have a hard time in saturated
Ground where they cause damage because the dirt collapses around the trap from being so wet!
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 04/27/18 01:58 AM

Below is a link to an interesting thread from the archives; many pages,quite a few pictures, and lots of information.-
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4103758/1
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 04/27/18 12:54 PM

Star-nosed moles are by far the number one mole we do in our service area. First off, look at the equipment you are using. We've had zero success using the Victor Out-O-Sight and spear type mole traps. We've caught a few with the molenators, but our number one trap by far is the NoMole trap. If you are using the molenators, I'd recommend getting the Mole Tunnel Pilot from Bob Jameson at http://www.jamesonsultrablend.com/Mole-Tunnel-Pilot.html before replacing them. This tool makes it easier to bed the trap properly thus increasing the catch success and is a cheaper option than just replacing the equipment. If you're using the OOS or spear trap, you'll have to get new equipment.

When it comes to location, it is key to set the travel tunnels and not the feeding tunnels. This can be more tricky to determine with Star-nosed moles as the tend to travel above ground frequently, but like most mole work look for the longest, straightest tunnels (even if they are only 3 feet long with no other tunnels close by) and don't overlook tunnels coming out of mulch beds.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 05/08/18 12:51 AM

Unlike Erik 1/2 of my star nose moles come from the out of sight mole trap. My area the star nose will be in wetter areas. so if I see a mole digging deeper under the oos then I will go to the No mole trap. I will pull my oos trap up just a little and place a dry grass sod and roots in the wet tunnel.
but I will admit if I suspect it is a star I go with the No mole.
Posted By: PAFOXTRAPPER55

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 05/31/18 06:33 AM

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the “no-mol” traps sold by WCS. I use them exclusively and catch eastern and star nosed moles regularly and often as well as voles and the occasional mouse. I once removed 32 mostly star nosed moles from a customers yard and just finished a job this year that produced 29. I bet I own at least 10 dozen no-mols. I couldn’t imagine using anything else. Check them out.

As stated you have to be able to roughly identify the main travelway trails from the feeding areas. Another good place is edged of mulch beds. 99% of the time there will be a good travelway writhin 6” of the mulch either just inside or outside of the edge. Along driveways, sidewalks and foundations can be good too. A good trail in muddy soil will have mole tracks in the bottom. Learn to feel the tunnels as you walk in addition to what you can easily see.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 06/04/18 12:57 AM

No-mol traps gave me tourette syndrome... The things work great, but I always set them off 3-4 times before I get them in place. I use molanators almost exclusively now. Wish Steve would come up with a design that works on voles:)
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 06/04/18 01:04 AM

Tourette’s LOL
They have given me something— and never a mole yet. I called alan but still not getting the hang of them on eastern’s.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Anyone proficient at catching star nosed moles? - 06/05/18 09:32 AM

Roughen up the insides where the trigger sits if they go off when you put them in the hole. Old, worn out drywall sponges work great for this.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums