Home

Dropping identification

Posted By: _fletch_

Dropping identification - 05/06/18 03:36 PM

Had a customer ask me to investigate what was leaving droppings all over her back porch table. Above the table was a can light, and the can light trim allowed enough gap around the lamp for a bat to roost every now and then and deposit it's droppings. There was no bat there when I removed the lamp so I screened off the excess gap. While I was there however, I noticed a few piles of the droppings pictured below. They are about the size of a half dollar... not on the table below the light, but spread about the porch aggregate floor. There was a tuft or two of what appeared to be rabbit fur present as well (or possibly squirrel). This is an elevated porch with no steps... only accessible from the upstairs of the home. Otherwise something would have to climb the columns. I can't say I've seen feces quite like this before. Could it be squirrel? I don't get a lot of squirrel calls but it looks to long and puddled for squirrel. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Dropping identification - 05/06/18 08:51 PM

Fletch, they look like bird droppings to me. I do lots of pigeon work and those aren’t out of line for size and shape, though some pigeons make me wonder if they are the size of a dog with some of what comes out of them.

I’d be thinking bird of some sort... tried to blow up pic but based on what I can see and the squiggly piled shape and appearance....

On the Bat can lights, had one guy with 4-7 bats per light can on a new porch addition next to a lake. Smaller myotis Yuma I think and they loved those cans! Owner was rarely there so they were perfect! 20+ cans, 80-90% had bats. After season covers were added after removing bulbs and assuring no bats. Let’s the light through but no Bat roosts anymore.

They are adaptable! That is for sure!
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Dropping identification - 05/07/18 01:40 AM

Is day birds too, doesn't look like any bat droppings I've seen
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Dropping identification - 05/07/18 04:02 PM

Not Squirrel, Sq is tubular with pointy ends, 3/16 to 5/16 inch's long.
Posted By: _fletch_

Re: Dropping identification - 05/07/18 04:15 PM

Alright, thanks Justin, Michigan and Bob. Don't know why I didn't think about bird, but I thought they were typically not that dark? Anyway, I'll pass the information along to her. Thanks!!!
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: Dropping identification - 05/13/18 12:20 AM

If they were straighter, I would say weasel.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums