Home

Squirrels with pinkies

Posted By: webfootwhacker

Squirrels with pinkies - 05/09/18 02:14 PM

How do you guys deal with removing squirrels from attics with no access and walls when you believe that there are pinkies inside somewhere? Do you catch the female to confirm and then start trying to find them, or wait until the young are active? It seems asking them to wait may be problematic (they may get frustrated and try something/someone else), but better than creating an odor problem.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/10/18 01:13 AM

That's called a second job

Catching the adults is a job, searching out little ones and removing is extra

Little bitty ones, not going to make noise and you may not find, but that small will likely not stink

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/10/18 04:29 AM

So how do you go about finding them, when there is no access? I can't imagine starting to cut holes just to check. One job turned out that they are mobile and I got five while I stood there waiting. The other one I'm just going to wait another couple of weeks. But I am still interested in how everyone else does it.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/10/18 10:59 AM

If there is no access and the customer knows this, they decide if they want to wait or proceed. As well as decide if they want to pay you to create an access (if it even possible)

A lot of what we do is based on what the cutomer is willing to pay for
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/10/18 11:23 AM

We have a job now with the exact circumstances. I advised the client to wait until the suspected juveniles are mobile enough to move about well enough to be trapped or excluded. or

To be sure we can trap the adult(s) examine them for the presence of a lactating female if there may be more then one occupant. If so, I would release the female and go back at a later date and exclude them all in a few days when the time is determined to be right.

We have done this many times in the past with success. Some of the large homes that we work on are very large and finding the nest site may be near impossible. Many nest sites are down in the walls that are not really accessible reasonably speaking.

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/10/18 09:02 PM

Inspection found that the young we're mobile and I removed them. The other client agreed to wait a couple of weeks. I still get nervous this time of year though.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/11/18 01:25 AM

your customer can tell you, if you ask the right questions. catch the female check her out. if the hair is slightly parted around the nipples and pink chafed or black in color. most likely pinkies. The older they get the more the nipples will turn black in color or pink and hair will be parted very pronounced around the nipples also a little swollen. if really swollen and hanging then pups are mobile. I have pic's but can't post them on here.
The pinkies will be where the customer hears the noise start first thing in then morning and the last place they hear them at dark. when the young get 3 tom4 weeks old they will make a little noise in the nest area day or a little at night.

Re: Squirrels with pinkies - 05/11/18 04:07 AM

Thanks Jonesie, I was hoping you would add to this discussion. I have another new one to inspect tomorrow - gotta love spring.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums