Home

which air rifle?

Posted By: white marlin

which air rifle? - 05/13/18 07:55 PM

need "minute-of-sparrow breast" accuracy at 20 yards, without breaking the bank. thinking $150 or less.

or is a .410 the better option? will be dusting English sparrows off a bluebird box and don't want to destroy that, though. (no experience with a .410)

what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Posted By: TRapper

Re: which air rifle? - 05/13/18 08:06 PM

We shoot a benjamin 392 in a .22 caliber...doesnt blow thru sparrow at 450 fps
Posted By: BigBob

Re: which air rifle? - 05/13/18 08:46 PM

I use a RWS 45, 1K fpm, in .17, works great, can head shoot squirrels @ 150 ft, but a bit more than $150. Open sights? If you put a scope on it, make sure to get one rated for the unique 2 stage recoil of an air rifle.

Re: which air rifle? - 05/13/18 08:47 PM

appreciate the reply.

plenty accurate at 20 yards?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: which air rifle? - 05/13/18 11:17 PM

I shot a crossman nitro piston in .17 cal.. Shoot pigeons inside buildings at 50 ft. Comes with a scope at around $170.00. Got mine a few years ago for $129.00.
Posted By: LBEE

Re: which air rifle? - 05/14/18 10:39 AM

I shoot a 22 Caliber with CB Caps or Silent 22 Shells very accurate & low Velocity ....not much noise.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: which air rifle? - 05/14/18 02:04 PM

For what you're looking at, check out a Crosman, Winchester or Ruger multipump air rifle from Walmart, Target, or some other discount store ($49 - $89). These will have more than enough energy to kill a sparrow (only requires around 2 fpe) and will have the accuracy as well out to 20 yards with the right pellet. Start with the domed (or diabolo) style as these will give the best accuracy.

I'd stay away from CO2 and break barrel air rifles as accuracy can be an issue based on pellet, weather conditions, and how you're holding the air rifle. Also, I'd look at putting money into a better scope (you can get a good CenterPoint or Leapers with an AO for under $80) and don't forget the rings.

For those doing this professionally I recommending using a PCP (precharged pneumatic) over a multipump. Of course, the exception is the Benjamin 392 for strictly bird work inside of stores but that's the cheap option as there are better models on the market but they do come with a much higher price tag.

Re: which air rifle? - 05/14/18 10:45 PM

appreciate all the input.

surprised no one mentioned Gamo...
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: which air rifle? - 05/14/18 10:48 PM

I use a Benjamin maximus PCP in 22 caliber as well as a hatsan at44-10 in 25 caliber. I also use a crosman 2240 Co2 pistol with good results. There are many options out there these days so look around and find what suits your individual needs.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: which air rifle? - 05/15/18 12:01 PM

Gamo is limited to break barrel and PCPs air rifles which is why I didn't mention them.

Without a doubt, the PCP air rifles are going to be the best in terms of consistent precision and flexibility but they also require some sort of filling option which is going to cost an additional $179 (air pump) - $2,300 (compressor) plus based on your needs. So while you can get a decent PCP air rifle for under $200 these days, you'll still need a way to fill it which adds to the cost. My PCP setup includes $179 air pump, $600 75 cf and $700 100 cf carbon cylinder, and a $2,300 air compressor but most are not going to need all of this.

I've spent as little as $49 for a multipump .177 with a high of $2,300 for a .30 caliber from manufactures that include Crosman, Benjamin, Gamo, Daystate, Air Arms, FX, RWS, Diana, Brocock, Airforce, Extreme Big Bore and Western Big Bore. I also have every power plant except for CO2 and at least one of each of the following calibers .177, .22, .25, .30, .357, .408 and .45 and tested them on a variety of live animals for effectiveness. You can find frequent articles about air rifles for wildlife control purposes in W.C.T. Magazine.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: which air rifle? - 05/16/18 04:25 AM

Yes our matching benjamin 392s are our dedicated store guns. 7 birds in 8 shots so far...partner pulled the shot. I personally shot 5 of the 7. Quiet shot with no recoil pumped 5 times. Thanks eric for recommendations

Re: which air rifle? - 05/16/18 09:35 AM

very much appreciate all of your information!
Posted By: Coonman300

Re: which air rifle? - 05/18/18 01:34 AM

I have an old Marlin bolt action 22 that I shoot the CB shorts in and it is quieter and more accurate than the pellet guns I've had. If you are in really tight quarters in the back yard I would use the Aguila colibri 22 shells. 20 grain bullets and very quiet. The only problem I've had with them is they don't feed thru my magazine and I have to place each shell in the chamber.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: which air rifle? - 05/19/18 01:36 AM

22 cb short will blow through a sparrow and damage the birdhouse. benjamin 392 or other pump gun will do what you need on the cheap. always keep one pump in the gun to save the o rings.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: which air rifle? - 05/19/18 03:42 AM

I can hit bottle caps with my .177 Gamo...@ 20 yards ...iron sights...
Posted By: bob pake

Re: which air rifle? - 05/20/18 01:41 AM

I could not get the accuracy that I wanted out of a break barrel spring gun. A pellet rifle with air as the power source has been a tack driver. The last springer was a 350 magnum. Maybe it's just me but a power full springer can be a challenge. I would suggest a air powered rifle.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: which air rifle? - 05/26/18 02:37 AM

A regular 22 rifle shooting CCI Quiet 22 cartridges with 40 grain solid bullet is pretty quiet and the shells are cheap.
Posted By: MB750

Re: which air rifle? - 05/27/18 11:02 AM

I shoot a couple of 5mm Sheridan pump ups. Bought them new 40 years or more ago. Found one at a yard sale for $45 & bought it too. Great guns if you can find them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums