Home

Voles

Posted By: Jason Turner

Voles - 05/15/18 01:37 AM

Here in the south, voles don’t ‘typically’ make runways on top of the ground between their holes. Instead, they have a high number of homes w/ underground runways. Is there a way to trap them effectively in this scenario?
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Voles - 05/15/18 03:10 AM

I originally used the tunnel set-up with back-to-back mouse traps on the above ground trails. As in all vole trapping, drill a hole in the trap and stake with a nail. No bait needed. However, I ran into some of the areas like you mentioned with just a series of holes, and no trails or runways above ground. I have been having fantastic results using this set up. Using my mole knife (Fiskar's garden knife), I cut a wedge at the hole, creating a 45-degree trap bed. Cut the width of the mouse trap, making sure to have clearance for the striker bar to clear the hole. Stake down with a nail. Set trap, pick up dead vole next trip.

I added a step to this system to cut down on the number of traps. Some areas will have 75 to 100 holes or more, and there's no way to set them all. However, I set about 1 out of 5, and use the landscape sealant (black spray foam w/applicator gun) to squirt a blob into all of the holes I didn't set. Yes, voles could chew through it... but they don't. They follow the air flow or daylight, and go right to the openings with the traps.

This one shows the wedge I cut out (wedge at left). Trap pinned to *ramp* with 16p nail. Note squared-off cut-out at top of hole so bar clears.

Close-up of a vole in trap. Usually a perfect neck catch as they come out of the hole.

Section of ground showing multiple holes, some with traps, others sealed with foam.

Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Voles - 05/15/18 03:21 AM

I put mouse and rat traps in a box with a hole in it. Peanut butter and bird seed on the pan. Works for me
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Voles - 05/15/18 10:36 PM

Bait free for me too! Less chance a skunk will come by and set off all my traps.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Voles - 05/16/18 04:30 AM

Thanks ron...i catch a butt load of voles but that tip will increase my catches
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Voles - 05/16/18 11:59 AM

Very helpful! I should be able to add this to my services now. Thank you for sharing this!
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Voles - 05/16/18 02:11 PM

Depending on the situation (amount of holes and size of area), I sometimes offer to repair the damage. Once trapping is done, foam the rest of the holes shut, then add a mix of sand and potting soil over the holes and depressions. Toss some grass seed on it and hit it with some water (sprinkling can or garden hose on light spray). I try to keep the foam down in the hole a little, which allows the new dirt and root system to tie in with surrounding sod/lawn. This is of course an added cost, but many homeowners appreciate the offer.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums