Home

Insurance companies and raccoon damage

Posted By: webfootwhacker

Insurance companies and raccoon damage - 06/03/18 01:11 AM

My client got the "we don't cover that because it's rodent damage". We sll know that coons are not rodents, but does anyone have tips for how to get the company on board?
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Insurance companies and raccoon damage - 06/03/18 06:46 AM

Whenever a client mentions trying their insurance, I always tell them, that is up to you, I will be giving you my proposal with the quote before
you reach out to them.

I've had people with bat scenarios get covered and others not by the same company. Sometimes the agent reached out to ask questions. I want
them all to know up front my costs are what I'm charging whether they get a great insurance coverage or not, just to assure my rates and costs
aren't called into question by someone thinking that since insurance was covering my bid suddenly went up.

Easy enough to explain to anyone with plenty of easy references what rodents are and what they are not. Raccoon, bat and skunk are the three
we tend to see come up in this type of confusion or misplaced identity, versus squirrels, rats, mice, etc...

If the folks really want to use their insurance and you can show clearly it is raccoon damage, they should be able to convince their agent. I've seen
people covered where I never thought they'd be covered and others had to really dig in their heels to get any coverage or a claim filed.

My .02

Good luck with it!

Justin
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Insurance companies and raccoon damage - 06/03/18 02:09 PM

Thanks, HD. She was neutral on the insurance claim, but now it appears we are going to have to jack up the trailer to access the underbelly. The kitchen area drops and I can't even fit between the steel beams and the ground, let alone work.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Insurance companies and raccoon damage - 06/05/18 09:44 AM

The insurance company may pay for part, but not all of the claim. You may also try to enlighten them on roundworm claims that might be really expensive compared to a cleanup job.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums