Home

Checking mole traps

Posted By: Okiecntry

Checking mole traps - 06/08/18 06:41 PM

I've been catching moles in my own yard the last couple year but plan to do some ADC work when I retire from my office job. Anyway, I mostly use OOS traps and love when I see the jaws open on top I know they are closed on a mole underneath. Since this is in my own yard I can walk around and check them two or three times a day. I do set a few moleinators and usually let them set for the weekend and pull them before heading to work Monday morning.

My questions are for you guys that set them out on paying jobs.

How often to you check your mole traps? Next day then every other day?

How long do you let them set in one spot before you move them?

As far as moleinators or NoMols do you have any luck checking them and leaving them or are you pulling as you check them?

Thanks!
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/09/18 12:09 AM

As I'm sure you've noticed, if you're going to catch a mole, it'll be within a day or 2 at most. But you run into scheduling issues if you return to a house every day. And the moles don't care if they are released in a few days. I visit once a week.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/09/18 12:33 AM

First ck, 3 days, Sec. ck, 4-5 days. No more than 5. I reset all traps on the first round, if there is no signs of mole on the sec. round I remove them, If I catch a mole or the mole trips or digs around the trap I will reset.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/18/18 05:04 AM

We have run as much as 109 mole stops in a week this year...average of 4 traps per yard. We check once a week
Posted By: ander.gar

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/21/18 05:06 PM

Do you putting any lure, or only the trap in the entrance hole?
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/21/18 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ander.gar
Do you putting any lure, or only the trap in the entrance hole?

I think you may be confusing moles with gophers. Moles have runs without an entrance hole.

I have only trapped moles.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/21/18 11:24 PM

We have much higher populations of moles here in my service areas. I check many jobs daily to clean them out faster. 4-8 moles or more daily is the norm for several days checking daily. I have moles in traps before leaving from setting the first traps on a property.

If we don't check daily on some jobs many moles are nearly totally consumed in a trap in 24 hrs. due to the population in our lawn areas. On a rare occasion we may catch 1-3 moles on a job but that is not the norm for our typical mole job.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/22/18 01:07 AM

In my area, it is rare for a client to have more than 1-3 moles in their lawn at once. We have eastern, hairy tail, and starnose here.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/22/18 03:16 PM

Consider how far you'll have to travel.
Do you have other jobs in the area ?
Is it on your normal daily route ?
How much are you charging and how long is your contract ?
All things to consider !

I set heavy and recommend if you have to traps, you do as well.

Has anyone seen the Easy Set Mole trap that is set using your foot ?
When homeowners catch on to how easy it is to trap a mole using it, it will cost you a whole lot of business !
When I saw 70 year old women catching moles with it, it opened my eyes.
I buy out every place that sells them to keep them out of the consumer's hands...
Posted By: ander.gar

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/23/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY

When homeowners catch on to how easy it is to trap a mole using it, it will cost you a whole lot of business !
I buy out every place that sells them to keep them out of the consumer's hands...

could you put any picture?. Does it work with gophers?

Thanks.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/23/18 04:18 PM

Bob has the hairy tailed mole so he has communal moles...i have only the eastern which are not communal
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/24/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Consider how far you'll have to travel.
Do you have other jobs in the area ?
Is it on your normal daily route ?
How much are you charging and how long is your contract ?
All things to consider !

I set heavy and recommend if you have to traps, you do as well.

The Easy Set Mole trap is not cheap! I have a customer give me two because he could not catch anything with them. I think you are wasting at LOT of money. I have also let a friend that lives a long distant from me barrow the two I have and she returned them to me and could not get them to work, the ground was to hard. JMO
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Checking mole traps - 06/25/18 01:07 AM

Yeah, it's very expensive (~$35) and doesn't show the customer how to determine where to set in a yard. Many, many customers have tried themselves, and failed.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Checking mole traps - 07/25/18 12:47 AM

Now, that's a good point , Dave.

I don't know who is selling the 'Easy Set' for $35, but it doesn't cost that. It's just over $18 here in Ohio at Rural King, which is a farm store, similar to TSC.
As far as setting it and getting success, WHERE you set it is paramount, just like any other style trap.
It needs to be set in a fresh run !
If you set it in hard pan clay or old runs then of course, you won't do well.
They have a place and if someone can help me post a pic on here, I'll show you just how good of 'place' they do have !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums