Home

Trapping Black Snakes

Posted By: trapperjeff

Trapping Black Snakes - 06/20/18 11:04 AM

Been getting some calls for black snakes. Any help on trapping them? I never trapped snakes. I've caught quite a few with my snare pole. Thanks for your help!
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Trapping Black Snakes - 06/20/18 11:44 AM

It all comes down to glue boards in a black box that is placed where snakes want to be.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Trapping Black Snakes - 06/20/18 11:47 AM

For long term results, you may want to look at habitat modification. Mowing, treating for insects, mice, etc.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trapping Black Snakes - 06/20/18 02:12 PM

I watched 1 go into a Cahaba Snake trap in my own house bout 2 am...from WCS at the top of this forum.

Downspout mat'l or even boxes with ends cut out and sticky pads in the middle third are the trick..WCS sells just the large pads, too.

As EATEN said, getting rid of the prey usually helps a lot.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Trapping Black Snakes - 06/20/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: traprjohn
...getting rid of the prey usually helps a lot.

Looking at this from another perspective, they are way more beneficial than they are dangerous. I have a list of folks who WANT rat snakes dropped off at their barns or properties due to the free rodent control they provide. Most people are okay with simply leaving them alone IF you are able to provide some basic education about them.

Phobias are able to be cured with knowledge.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Trapping Black Snakes - 06/21/18 12:12 AM

I only remove them from the home. Black rat snakes are protected here, and can only be released on property. I have a few Cahaba Snake traps that I use, but also made them before out of wood.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums