Home

mole plunger type traps

Posted By: dustytinner

mole plunger type traps - 07/04/18 11:51 PM

I've read some of the archives, do you guys have any tips to improve my use of them? It been a bad run for me with alot of traps set off and nothing in them. I just ordered some trapline mole traps and watched the videos. I think these will work better.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/05/18 10:35 AM

The spear type traps work well once you get on to how to set them. I learned to use a dandelion tool to pilot larger holes for the spears so they will penetrate the soil without restriction. Once you have set and positioned the trap I fire the trap and push the spear plate down as far as it will go.

Once the spear plate is down I run the dandelion tool down along side each spear enlarging the hole for the spears to follow easily when fired by the mole. I also learned to smear Vaseline on each spear to help them glide easier and faster thru the soil.

I used this system very successfully in my early years before the Trapline mole traps became available. Keep your points sharp. The older traps were stronger and had sharper needle type points. The newer model traps have a sheared angle point.

The soil is always moving to some degree you will find. You will need to check your traps on occasion particularly if they set for a period of time without firing. The pilot holes can close enough to cause sluggish firing due to this phenomenon.

The rest is selecting a straight active run and choosing the more shallow runs for the best results. You can dig a tunnel out and re bed the tunnel to establish a lower dirt depth in order to set your traps when you encounter such a situation. This works well also.

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/05/18 11:46 AM

Thank you Bob,I also read your recommendation on your site for the trapline mole traps
I will do this thanks again.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/05/18 11:59 AM

Like Bob, I pre-open the spear holes, but I use the actual spears, holding trap in place and releasing it several times.
Make sure to only close their tunnel bout 1/2 way, or they will go around
you want them to repair it, not abandon the tunnel
Set on straight runs, not curvy.....curvy is hunting, straight is the road to hunting grounds
do NOT engage the trigger/dog all the way, just 1/16"-1/8" engagement will do fine, making it trip easier/sooner, when tunnel is repaired

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/05/18 05:09 PM

Thank you also traprjohn
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/10/18 11:04 AM

Like Bob stated getting the spears down through the mole is the key. I have seen first hand the trap going off the trap moving, then stop moving a few secs then stop moving pull the trap and the mole gone!!!!! the last time I observed this I dug the trap up fast to see the mole almost had dug down enough to pull off. Loose soil under trap. If I can get the spears to go through the mole and down into packed soil the mole can pull off before it dies.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/10/18 12:43 PM

One other thing on the spear type mole traps. If it is set off, do not just pull out of the ground. I have had several when I used them that were just speared through the skin and if I had pulled up the trap, I would have pulled the tine out of the mole skin and set him free. Dig around the tines before pulling out the trap.

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/12/18 10:37 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've got a few for the neighbor lady. I also just received some Albano mole traps. Funny how word of mouth spreads,another neighbor with moles! It's fun for my daughter and I. I've also taken care of some woodchucks for a farmer where I trap,while there I was told by another farmer I could trap pocket gophers and if I got the last one he'd give me a thousand dollars! (That was a good laugh)
Posted By: BigBob

Re: mole plunger type traps - 07/12/18 10:51 PM

When using the spear type traps a place a dark colored bucket and a weight over the set, to keep dogs from sniffing around and digging, and to make sure no sunlight will be visible from underneath.
Posted By: AJE

Re: mole plunger type traps - 10/15/18 03:49 AM

They don't make the spear type mole traps like they used to. Weak springs now and generally lower quality. I suppose product liability.

I got a mole today. 12th in my yard this year. They've been relentless. We got snow today...1st I've ever shoveled a mole out of snow covered ground.

I buy the spear types at places like flea markets.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: mole plunger type traps - 10/15/18 12:29 PM

Ha! Lets not be talking snow here, you are not that far away!!! LOL
Posted By: willvalley

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/15/18 03:33 AM

The Trapline trap is a much better trap then any spear trap. Just follow the instructions and you will be happy. More for your moneyalso.

Ted

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/15/18 01:44 PM

I never like the spear trap because if a dog or someone get stabbed it could cost you a lot of money and your house. You will like the trap line traps.

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/16/18 01:27 AM

Does the Trapline traps require setting 2? I thought I heard that.

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/16/18 01:20 PM

Yes, one each way in the run.

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/21/18 12:30 AM

Having to set 2 sounds like kind of a hassle.

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/21/18 12:51 AM

The plungers work great for me. I got 1 on Thursday...Latest I can ever recall trapping a mole. I got 13 in that yard this year, mostly with the plunger style. I really like how easy they are to set.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/21/18 07:24 PM

Spear type mole traps may work in some areas but not often here. I would think they are made for surface type runs, I see those on occasion but most are not used more then once. I think the moles here are grubbing when they make the shallow runs. Deeper runs are more normal and the Spear trap will not work well here. OOS and Trapline traps work very well with the Trapline being a bit easier to set most times. They still get sprung and are empty at times but more then one set makes up for a miss.
Last three checks I had 40 mole and 10 gopher. Gopher here are a whole story in themselves. Most of the mole were caught in Trapline's and a few in OOS.
Yes, you do need to set two per set. Might take a bit more time then a Spear but two Trapline's are less money then one Spear, at least for me as I buy them 3 dozen or more at a time.
Ted

Re: mole plunger type traps - 11/22/18 03:15 AM

Ok.
Yes, the runs around here are not deep.
Thanks for the info.
1 problem I see is some landowners stomp down the trail or run it over with a mower, & it causes the moles to go deeper though.
I may get a couple of Albano's Trapline traps to try.
1 style I really don't particularly care for are the choker loop traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums