Home

Collapsible Cage Traps?

Posted By: JoeyHalk

Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/13/18 11:58 PM

I've been looking at these recently, because I like the idea of being able to store more traps in an area. I've never used them.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has had luck with them? Do they hold up?
What I'm thinking is that they will lack structural integrity and break easy, or be a pain in the bottom to get collapsed or uncollapsed to a setting position.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/13/18 11:58 PM

Also, I did a search already and nothing came up.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/14/18 01:59 PM

Coworker tried one on skunks. Came to collapsed traps more than once with bait gone. Could the trap have been damaged previous to putting it out, or not erecting it properly? Dunno, but recommended a safeguard trap. I looked at the collapsible trap and personally I'd never use it. I'd deal with the lack of space if it were me.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/14/18 02:08 PM

Might be all right for skunks and possums but a midsize raccoon can blowout of less than stout traps with Sturdy frames. The only collapsible I consider are colony traps for muskrats.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/14/18 02:36 PM

The collapsible squirrel traps from tomahawk live trap are awesome
I have used them for about 4 years now and never had any issues.
Larger animals and I would be Leary in using a collapsible trap of any
Brand. Except maybe on skunks
Posted By: sgs

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/14/18 04:40 PM

I've been using the Havahart collapsible traps for 12 years now with no problems at all.

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/15/18 03:15 PM

That is great feedback everyone. Thank you. I have actually ordered a couple of the collapsible squirrel sized traps. For the bigger animals I think I'm going to stick with safeguards and comstocks.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Collapsible Cage Traps? - 07/16/18 11:05 AM

I purchased a few many years ago with the same thought in mind. I quickly determined that they weren't as secure and sturdy as I would like for a daily use trap. I eventually sold them all some time later. Maybe some are better constructed now but I haven't needed to explore that option any further. I have all the equipment that I need currently for a lifetime of commercial work.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums