Home

Posted By: joepennanti

. - 08/09/18 08:39 PM

Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/09/18 10:03 PM

I have used Sherman box traps for many years. They are very effective for shrews, mice, rats, and flying squirrels. I have even caught a few small gray squirrels in them. For me, the biggest problem with them is that they are made out of aluminum. I have had several traps ruined by rodents chewing on the mechanism that holds the entrance door in the open position.

I switched to the Safeguard 53070 Rodent Trap- https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/...iABEgIPh_D_BwE. It is made of galvanized sheet metal, so is much harder to damage.

EDIT: YouTube video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=99&v=INmZ_LHYXJs
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/10/18 01:25 AM

Used them while in school. They work. Not sure they offer any real advantages unless you want the catch alive.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/10/18 02:02 AM

Joepennanti- I didn’t use the Sherman traps to purposefully target gray squirrels. They were just incidental catches when targeting flying squirrels in attics. I have never used the larger Sherman traps either. I prefer my homemade multi-catch cage traps when removing gray and flying squirrels from homes. We don’t have either weasels or marten down here; mink are pretty scarce in my part of the state too.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/12/18 02:04 AM

Yeah, my user name has been around on various boards since the late 90s. I figure if somebody sees and remembers it, they'll say hi.

I don't remember a size marked on them. They were far from new and had plenty of use sampling mice for an ongoing study that was being done. I don't remember any chew damage done to them, but damaged traps would have been removed from service. We did find an old Sherman in The woods. It had spent at least a year out there and still worked fine.
Posted By: ACP

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/13/18 06:21 PM

The traps are great for mice, rats, and chipmunks. You will also catch a few shrews. At my day job we run 300 to 900 per month for 3 days for small mammals research. We are using millet and sunflower seeds so those are not attractive to weasels but they do enter the traps from time to time. I'd be curious on using a different bait.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/16/18 02:27 PM

300 traps is probably 6 blocks with 50 traps placed out.
Male longtails are a little reservant in entering Sherman small mammal traps
The wire mesh of the live traps is a hazard to the snouts of the mustelides
Posted By: ACP

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/17/18 01:10 PM

We run 3 plots per site on a 100 trap grid for 3 nights.Some months we will have 3 sites going. We have sites in Oak Ridge, Tn, the Smokies, and Virginia. It's quite a task but in 4 years we have only caught 1 weasel and that was Virginia
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Sherman box traps - 08/18/18 02:02 AM

The traps used were3-3-12” female longtails have been caught because they are the same size as a male ermine
© 2024 Trapperman Forums