Home

What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer?

Posted By: Urbancoon

What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/17/18 02:01 AM

When a city dwelling raccoon is moving from property to property, do they have a preference for staying closer to homes and cover, or do they just take the easiest, shortest route from place to place even if it means walking near or on sidewalks?

And, once in a yard, do they prefer traveling near fences, hedges or on ledges?
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/17/18 02:26 AM

they go where they want, until they see some one then will crowd the fence lines and bushes. some coon work from storm drain to storm drain. but in the middle of the night no one around they just go where they want.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/17/18 01:04 PM

Second that

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/19/18 01:23 AM

Thanks for that.

Does it matter then, where you'd place a trap in a yard to catch them?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/23/18 07:55 PM

There was a TV show hosted I believe by David Suzuki that did a study on raccoons they were radio colored in Vancouver and it shows the path that they chose
Very interesting how they would avoid streets and other things that were danger when they had their kit
The show goes on to show Germany and to bet the damages that of occurred and some of the ways that they're combating it in a humane way ha ha
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/23/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke
There was a TV show hosted I believe by David Suzuki that did a study on raccoons they were radio colored in Vancouver and it shows the path that they chose
Very interesting how they would avoid streets and other things that were danger when they had their kit
The show goes on to show Germany and to bet the damages that of occurred and some of the ways that they're combating it in a humane way ha ha

Amazing read, I need to watch that show, sounds cool!

https://nextdoornature.org/tag/the-nature-of-things-with-david-suzuki/

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/24/18 05:34 AM

Is this the one?

https://curio.ca/en/video/raccoon-nation-1398/
Posted By: Vinke

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/24/18 06:06 AM

I think so

Another great watch if you can find it is the wolves of Chernobyl
It's amazing how the wildlife is taking over that part of Russia
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/24/18 03:10 PM

Raccoon Nation- Raccoon Nation

The Radioactive Wolves of Chernobyl- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cu-80jzC44

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/24/18 03:48 PM

apparently Toronto is the raccoon capitol of the world and has 50 times more raccoons than an area in the country side of the same size. Also learned that city raccoons tend to have small territories and avoid crossing major roads. They get fat and lazy, have bad teeth and high blood pressure - lol - just like some people in cities! But on the upside, they breed more successfully and live longer. All good stuff, I say keep em coming! I have plenty of cage traps for big, lazy city coons!
Urbancoon, are you in Toronto?

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/25/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: CallmeBob

No, not Toronto.

Good summary of the video, btw. What I don't understand is that if raccoon roundworm is so nasty, why don't we hear of more of this occurring there, or is it happening and we just don't hear about it?

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/26/18 06:49 PM

There is no accounting for taste or sense.

Re: What Routes do City Raccoons Prefer? - 08/27/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Urbancoon
Originally Posted By: CallmeBob

What I don't understand is that if raccoon roundworm is so nasty, why don't we hear of more of this occurring there, or is it happening and we just don't hear about it?

good question, I don't know. I would have to say I haven't heard much about roundworm affecting people either, maybe a little research can show how many cases there are? But I would take it seriously, always better safe than sorry!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums