Home

mole tunnels

Posted By: marathonman

mole tunnels - 09/21/18 11:08 AM

How easy are they to find? I have a customer that is saying he has a mole in his lawn.There are bumps protruding with a bit of pushed up soil[3-4 feet apart].I have dug around these areas and find no tunnels..not sure if it is even a mole...what am I doing wrong?
Posted By: Getting There

Re: mole tunnels - 09/21/18 11:22 AM

Use a longer probe. If there are mounds there are moles. Probe every few inches. JMO
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: mole tunnels - 09/21/18 12:14 PM

Look at the dirt mounds to see if they have a small tunnel about 1/2 inch going down into the mound. It may look like a small ground hog burrow with a dirt apron. If so, it is the result of the burrows of cicada killers which are insects.

If they are true mole mounds there will be a tunnel possibly going down at a steep angle if it isn't parallel with the ground surface. As stated, probe the area until the probe sinks in identifying the run.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: mole tunnels - 09/25/18 08:26 PM

Post a pic on here
Posted By: Ken Smith

Re: mole tunnels - 09/25/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
cicada killers

Might these look like huge wasp 3-4 inches long?

Re: mole tunnels - 09/25/18 09:29 PM

Yes, the Cicada Killers look similar to a huge Hornet. They aren't 3-4 inches long. The ones in our area are 1-3/4 to 2" long typically.

Below are some Cicada Killers and a typical den site. There is only one killer per burrow in my experience.

You can find single or several Killers living in a small area with these mounds or what I call towns of them " dozens " in some areas with good ground conditions. Sandy soils are very popular dening areas.

I wouldn't want to be stung by one of these things.

Posted By: Aggie73

Re: mole tunnels - 09/28/18 01:50 PM

Here's another pic of a Cicada Killer Wasp's mound in sandy soils. Aside from the obvious open hole leading to her den is the channel created to facilitate her dragging the paralyzed cicada into her den. Only the queen, larger than the males, have stingers and do all the hunting.

Posted By: Getting There

Re: mole tunnels - 09/28/18 06:23 PM

Never seen such a thing!!!
Posted By: AJE

Re: mole tunnels - 09/29/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Getting There
Never seen such a thing!!!
Me neither.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: mole tunnels - 09/29/18 05:42 PM

Our area gets them.

Re: mole tunnels - 09/29/18 05:53 PM

A lot of them around here. Many so called mole calls from consumers turn out to being these insects.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums