Home

Muskrats

Posted By: AJE

Muskrats - 11/14/18 04:29 AM

Do many of you get calls for nuisance muskrats? I'm on a section of stream in road right-of-way trapping for a township worried about the rats burrowing under the road. It's been interesting. I'd call it a rat infestation. I don't know if they are really that thick or if more are moving in as I cull them out. My best success is with bottom edge sets with colony traps. Give that set a try and I think you'll be happy. I learned about the bottom edge set at a demo at our state trappers rendezvous.
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: Muskrats - 11/14/18 06:56 PM

Some, not many. Most concern is destruction at shoreline. Colony traps work well.
Posted By: ACP

Re: Muskrats - 11/16/18 01:55 AM

I get a few. Normally just people worried about their lawns. The lakes where I am at are hard to set bottom edge sets. I've been trying to rely on colony traps, floats, and 110s
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Muskrats - 11/16/18 03:28 AM

I normally use stools and colonies and 110’s or 160’s in the runs
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Muskrats - 11/16/18 02:39 PM

I've had good luck with stools in the spring, but struggle with them outside of that time frame. Have to find runs and use bodygrips or colonies after that.

Re: Muskrats - 11/21/18 12:33 AM

What do you mean by 'stools?' Is that 1 of those metal devices that allow you to elevate a foot hold trap in the water?

Re: Muskrats - 11/22/18 12:09 AM

Mine are wooden platforms on a wood stake. A screw about six inches above the water holds an apple slice or your bait of choice. I set two traps on each stool as there is a divider in the center - I wouldn't say double catches are the norm, but they are quite common.

Re: Muskrats - 11/22/18 03:26 AM

Oh, so it's something homemade. I suppose they work kind of like a float.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Muskrats - 11/23/18 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Oh, so it's something homemade. I suppose they work kind of like a float.

nothing like a float---doesn't change with water level---but kinda similarly, they are attracted to a bait and step in a foothold---i'll try and take a photo of mine in the barn tomorrow

not homemade any more since Sudden Valley and Hagz make brackets that slide onto a 3/8" rod (glass or steel)

I have a dozen SV foothold clips on hand needing a new home. There is also bait clips to stab the carrot or parsnip on
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Muskrats - 11/23/18 08:40 PM

Don't you have problems with ducks when using stools?

Re: Muskrats - 11/24/18 12:24 AM

I haven't, Vinke, but I don't use a lot of them. I sure wouldn't use an ear of corn for bait though. I had a pond that I worked on for two or three springs for a township (we don't have a spring trapping season) that had lots of waterfowl and caught dozens of rats each spring without incident.

Re: Muskrats - 11/24/18 04:11 AM

Ahhh, something like this traprjohn:
http://suddenvalleysupply.com/shop/rat-clip-pole/

Kind of a makeshift stool I think is what you are saying.

Re: Muskrats - 12/01/18 10:29 AM

The HagZ brackets really seem to be gaining in popularity. So many options with them...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums