Home

————Ideal Catch Pole Length

Posted By: Aix sponsa

————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/15/18 04:23 PM

Obviously a shorter pole can work for smaller critters, but for this thread, let’s go with something that can really bite and squirm as the example—- otters.

What would you consider the ideal length to be for a catch pole used to release otters?

Is a 4 foot catch pole long enough, or have you wished you had a 5 footer when handling em?

Posted By: Newt

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/15/18 04:56 PM

I use a 4 footer
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/15/18 08:17 PM

I use a 3 ft for most every animal. The longer the pole the longer stretch you have to work with the animal when working with it or removing a trap etc. I handled thousands of fox, cats and coyotes over the years making a living on the road. Never had a need for any more length. Working off an atv the shorter length didn't hang up on the trail near as much either compared to a longer pole.

I suppose it makes a difference how afraid you are of contact as a matter of choice of length also. I was examining and giving injections to most of the animals that I worked with so my choice of lengths suited my needs.
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/15/18 09:21 PM

I ve got a 4 footer but wish it was a 3 footer- MOST- of the time
Posted By: AJE

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/16/18 01:29 AM

It might depend if you have a person helping, of if you are doing the release solo.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/16/18 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
It might depend if you have a person helping, of if you are doing the release solo.

Mmmm.....if it’s for me, it’s going to be solo 100% of the time, well, unless I were to snare a large reptile that doesn’t self release. In that case I will be calling my friends with wildlife and fisheries to come help me. Thankfully, a situation like that hasn’t happened yet, and hopefully it won’t happen.

When I asked the question, it was more for just trappers in general. I just wouldn’t want to be trying to lasso a ticked off otter with a dwarf catch pole.
Posted By: gibb

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/16/18 04:59 AM

A 4 foot catch pole in an 8 foot catch circle can really make you dance.
Caught a big female wolf one time just like that. I now own an extension catch pole. LOL

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/16/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by gibb
A 4 foot catch pole in an 8 foot catch circle can really make you dance.

Good point.

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/16/18 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
I just wouldn’t want to be trying to lasso a ticked off otter with a dwarf catch pole.

Me neither.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 11/17/18 03:40 AM

I used a 3 footer for nearly forty years. The 3 foot size was fine most of the time, until I got a 4 foot. Recently catching a raccoon in a suspended ceiling I really appreciated the extra reach. It will be better when large dangerous critters must be released to run away.

I gave the 3 footer to a young man who did not have one. He says it is perfect.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 02/13/19 05:04 PM

5 ft on otter.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: ————Ideal Catch Pole Length - 02/13/19 07:41 PM

Depends on the length of your chains, and if it's a front/back foot catch. I use and sell 5 footers min.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums