Home

330 springs

Posted By: varmintshooter

330 springs - 12/05/18 12:17 AM

I might have had a 330 spring break before but I can't remember one. I beaver trap year around. I am on the coast of NC with some brackish, and Tannic acid water. This past year I have done quite a bit of farm work. Anyway I have had 7 330's break a spring and one MB 12x16 break both springs. All broke in the coil. Duke, MB, and Belisle. My traps are not all that old, I trade them out every 5 or 6 years.
I keep them painted and now I am starting to wax them to see if that will help.
Anyone else have springs break?
Posted By: bad karma

Re: 330 springs - 12/05/18 01:19 AM

No, I run all belisle's and wax them couple times a year. Odd they would all go in one summer. I have very similar conditions as you.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: 330 springs - 12/05/18 02:12 AM

I run all belisle's and wax them couple times a year. Odd they would all go in one summer. I have very similar conditions as you.

I once purchased some waxed 330's that had 1 in plate welded to kill bar,,,,,,,,,,Man that hurt................more then once..........
Posted By: AJE

Re: 330 springs - 12/05/18 05:36 AM

Do they break while you are setting them?

Re: 330 springs - 12/05/18 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

No, when I return they are broke. We have a 72 hour check on submerged bodygrips.

I use around 3 dozen 330's for the every day trapping and others if I need them. I am thinking of just replacing the springs on all of them.
Bad Karma I am thinking the waxing will make a difference. Well see.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: 330 springs - 12/05/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by varmintshooter
Originally Posted by AJE

No, when I return they are broke.

Sounds like somebody is coitising with you!
Posted By: AJE

Re: 330 springs - 12/06/18 03:31 AM

It does seem strange.

Re: 330 springs - 12/06/18 10:22 AM

I am wondering now if it was Muriatic Acid. My ADC traps get worked hard and I wanted to clean them up, no rust, or paint, and start over. Never did that before. I diluted it down 3 to 1. I let them sit for 1 to 2 hours and them pressure washed them.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: 330 springs - 12/06/18 01:45 PM

If you do an acid bath (muriatic or even vinegar) you need to neutralize them afterwards to stop the acid from working. Pressure washing them probably helped but it is likely that that still left some acid in places and the breakage could be the result. A soak in a baking soda solution would neutralize and stop the acid from eating away at the steel.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: 330 springs - 12/06/18 10:02 PM

Can you show pics of the break? Both from the end and side? Maybe they had a problem trying to temper the coil? But I wouldn't expect the issue across brands.

Re: 330 springs - 12/09/18 12:57 PM

I will try to get some pictures and post.
Posted By: AR Swampboss

Re: 330 springs - 12/13/18 09:41 PM

I’ve had Dukes break before.
They will sometimes replace them if in otherwise good condition.
Sometimes mfgs just get a bad batch of springs

It’s odd you would get several different brands break close to the same time ??
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: 330 springs - 12/14/18 11:16 AM

I might have had a 330 spring break before but I can't remember one. I beaver trap year around. I am on the coast of NC with some brackish, and Tannic acid water. This past year I have done quite a bit of farm work. Anyway I have had 7 330's break a spring and one MB 12x16 break both springs. All broke in the coil. Duke, MB, and Belisle. My traps are not all that old, I trade them out every 5 or 6 years.
I keep them painted and now I am starting to wax them to see if that will help.
Anyone else have springs break?

You might have a bigger challenge- IMO, it sounds like Hydrogen Embrittlement, if stress was introduced in the manufacturing process they would typically break when setting. Over prolonged use in water, containing higher levels of tannic acid you technically could be absorbing more hydrogen into the springs and causing a fracture point under the stress of the loaded springs. I think painting and waxing is a good idea to fill in any porosity in the steel.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: 330 springs - 12/18/18 12:46 AM

I will try to get some pictures and post.

you stinking liar David!

I think it was the muriatic acid since its happening to several makes

I know that 1:10 ratio takes plating off chain, so I'd keep it around there if it was me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums