Home

ever for rats???

Posted By: Vinke

ever for rats??? - 01/11/19 03:38 AM

have any of you ever tried colony traps for rats?
Posted By: TDHP

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/11/19 12:51 PM

I use the colony trap caging with a half door with my snap traps on farm jobs to keep chickens and other animals from triggering them.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/11/19 04:07 PM

A guy I knew found the little scutters will eat each other in the traps.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/11/19 04:31 PM

What's new about rodents dining on each other? Our repeating mouse traps usually contain 6 tails and one very fat mouse!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/11/19 06:56 PM

I used some in years past and I built a couple but haven't used them a lot over the years. I use mostly single catch cages and snaps most of the time. I can spread out many more single catch traps to cover more activity areas.

I suppose that if you were on a primary travel route to a food source or on a good noted den area you could do well depending upon their acceptance of the trap. Rats can be funny as we all know at times.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/12/19 02:51 AM

yes, work well, especially when blended in with grass layed over and stabilized with a t-stake set in the runs
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/21/19 12:54 AM

Interesting that you are having success with them. We don't have rats where I'm at, but I had to clean out a garage that had around sixty "free range" white lab rats. They were somewhat tame, but deathly afraid of colony traps - just would not push the door open. I had several trapped in a wood cabinet they nested in with a colony over their access hole in the side of it and they just would not come out far enough to push the door open. Had to change the approach. Glad to hear they work on wild ones.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/24/19 10:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Trick I found was to bait heavy wire the doors open enough for them to get out. after bait is gone bait heavy and set it.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: ever for rats??? - 01/25/19 12:00 AM

On average, how many of them cages do you drop on rat jobs?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums