Home

Pocket gopher checks

Posted By: AJE

Pocket gopher checks - 02/17/19 08:47 AM

How often should a person check gopher traps?
Posted By: Aggie73

Re: Pocket gopher checks - 02/17/19 02:30 PM

I set traps one day and check them the next day. Leaving traps set and not checked beyond 24 hours leaves any gophers caught susceptible to domestic and wild predators. Even though I cover and stake my trap sets, I have had my gopher and traps thieved by a fox, coon, skunk, etc. on a few occasions.
Posted By: JGJensen

Re: Pocket gopher checks - 02/23/19 12:47 AM

You can check them within hours if they are active. We have set and heard the trap snap after only a few minutes
Posted By: AJE

Re: Pocket gopher checks - 03/06/19 02:45 AM

If caught by the leg in a size 0 long spring, I wonder if they'd escape if not for ~daily checks.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Pocket gopher checks - 03/06/19 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
If caught by the leg in a size 0 long spring, I wonder if they'd escape if not for ~daily checks.

That's all I use and never had a problem unless they where caught by a toe. Like the Aggie said, peditors can be a bigger problem. On large jobs I might do like trapping muskrat and check them once finished with the last set. Other times I might set them in the morning and check them later in the afternoon. There is no law in MN for how often they are required to be checked but for respect of the aninmal, I do it at least once a day.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums