Home

Mother coon question.

Posted By: PAskinner

Mother coon question. - 05/03/19 01:57 PM

I'm not an ADC guy and someone in my family has a coon living under the eaves with a litter. I can look back in and see her, but they want them moved alive. Set a box trap under the bushes with marshmallows and they have caught a possum, a cat, and now the bait is disappearing. First question, is it feasible to try and pull her down out of there with a catch pole or will she run off when I get close? Do you think it's a coon stealing the marshmallows from outside the trap? Today it was set off and the bait was gone. My trail camera is broke. Just looking for a better way to get her out of there. A .22 bullet would be easier, lol.
Posted By: Traps R Us

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/03/19 02:29 PM

you're on the right track, catch mom, then go and grab the little ones.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/03/19 08:01 PM

Mommas got to eat. Find where she is coming down. Usually a corner with a downspout has been my experience. The ground means food to her. So That’s where I trap. Then use heavy gloves and grab the little ones
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/03/19 10:10 PM

They will leave sign, but you will need to have the ability to locate and identify it. You can pull them out but if she is with them, you might have your hands full. Trail cameras are a must in the adc field.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/04/19 01:53 AM

We need more info

Can you just see the mom or the babies too?

if the tripped cage has 2 doors, THAT is the problem.
the doors fell on the critters butt and it backed out...…….what kinda trap are you using?

I'd use a extended painters pole and drop a rag with raccoon eviction fluid on it...…….90% of the time, she will move them to a different location/building.

Have you tuned the trigger on the cage trap?

If it is a single door trap, a wooden treadle extension can make it trip a bit sooner/better I have found.

hope this helps and a PM is coming your way

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/04/19 05:00 PM

Thanks, that is all helpful. She is eating cat food on the porch, would lay money that is where she is getting to the ground at, but I don't think the trap set there would be wise, because of the mess she would make after the catch. Yes, it's a double door, kindsajunky trap, IMO, but all they have. I don't even own a bigger size box trap. I could only see her, but looked like there was a nest behind her. I haven't been back over yet. I like the eviction fluid idea.

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/04/19 05:05 PM

One more question: lots of cats there, what are my chances if I use a DP with something like marshmallow and molassaes? You think I'll still catch cats?
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/04/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
Thanks, that is all helpful. She is eating cat food on the porch, would lay money that is where she is getting to the ground at, but I don't think the trap set there would be wise, because of the mess she would make after the catch. Yes, it's a double door, kindsajunky trap, IMO, but all they have. I don't even own a bigger size box trap. I could only see her, but looked like there was a nest behind her. I haven't been back over yet. I like the eviction fluid idea.

Trail cams would prevent you from guessing. If you're worried about damage, place a piece of sheathing under the cage and tack the cage to it. Don't know what the job looks like but if you have to run a positive set for her I'd do that and then snatch the rest with a pole. If the bait is gone, don't rule out mice considering there is food out already. Not understanding why there aren't any trail cams running for observation...time is money, it isn't fun when you have to pay to go to work.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/04/19 08:03 PM

Generally cats wont mess with a sweet bait, coons however LOVE them! Now watch this time be the exception,
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/05/19 12:25 AM

Listen to trapjohn male coon urine doused on a rag..put it in the den..she will move them...win win
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/05/19 03:19 PM

Kindajunky traps are a recipe for disaster with raccoons. They're pretty good at tearing things up when they are motivated to do so. Then it's really hard to catch them.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/05/19 05:44 PM

Put a rubber mat or plywood sheet cut to size under the trap. That stops the destruction the porch.

Tell your family the charge is 50 bucks for removal, and then go purchase a good one door trap and set it.

Do not worry about cats in live traps. Let them get caught and when they find out that is unpleasant they stay out of the traps. It is why I always set a few traps to educate.

If she has little ones early, we do not get them until later here, you will have to get them out sooner than later. As if mobile they will move from the area on their own.

I would try though first the scent rag, as that would give the problem to someone else who will pay for the removal.

Re: Mother coon question. - 05/05/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TDHP
Originally Posted by PAskinner

Trail cams would prevent you from guessing. If you're worried about damage, place a piece of sheathing under the cage and tack the cage to it. Don't know what the job looks like but if you have to run a positive set for her I'd do that and then snatch the rest with a pole. If the bait is gone, don't rule out mice considering there is food out already. Not understanding why there aren't any trail cams running for observation...time is money, it isn't fun when you have to pay to go to work.

There's no money involved. Just helping out my family. And don't have a working trail cam.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums