Home

Tunnel Mole Trap Problems

Posted By: Buck77

Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 05/13/19 04:57 PM

I bought a dozen of the these tunnel mole traps. I am having problems with them. I either have them tripped or filled with dirt because the mole dug under the trap. Anyone else had this problem? [Linked Image]
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 05/13/19 08:19 PM

I would modify them by placing a shelf under them, shingle, tin can with some dirt on them to camo. It should remedy the problem if you are not dealing with pocket gophers.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 05/13/19 11:12 PM

I've had that problem, but not with those traps. Since they are being set off, you're in the right place, which is the most important step in catching them.

Keep trying.

If you can't figure out how to get those to work, they may be a bad design. There are 3 styles of traps that are well regarded on this site. Try one of those.
Posted By: Urbancoon

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 05/14/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
I would modify them by placing a shelf under them, shingle, tin can with some dirt on them to camo. It should remedy the problem if you are not dealing with pocket gophers.

I've read that if the tunnel dips where the trap is, the mole will 'swim'/dip/dig under the first trigger and pop up and set off the one right after it, but because it isn't in the loop yet, the mole isn't caught. The above strategy was suggested as well as making sure that the tunnel is level before you place the trap.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 05/14/19 06:05 PM

Leave a little loose dirt in the bottom of the tunnel and push the wires down into it.

When you set that trap put your thumb on the dog/trigger connection and work the trigger a little to make it fire with less force.
Posted By: Talpa

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 05/14/19 08:59 PM

You always need to ‘tune’ these traps before they go into the ground.
Set them and test them by pressing the trigger as the mole would, it should fire with only a little pressure. Sometimes this can be achieved by bending the spur on the trigger up a little sometimes shortening the spur, sometimes both. Occasionally the ‘dog’ is twisted-it should sit horizontal when set. Only tweak a little at a time otherwise you will get the situation where both fire when one side is triggered.

Once you are happy go and set them. As you start using these traps use the trap as a template to gig the hole just big enough to get the trap in. Get down to the level of the pipe, then use a spoon or ice of wire to clear any debris from the pipes and then press the floor of the opened pipe so that it is as you would expect the base in a tunnel to be, not packed solid but flat.
Place the trap in pressing so base of the trap loops are just below the soil in the floor of the pipe, not too far or you will bed the triggers in and cause the mole push against it without it firing and causing it to bung it up or dug under, the trap loops need to allow the mole to enter without detecting the sides or the base that should be sitting just below the soil. The trap needs to be covered over and firmed in so that it is stable with no movement and so that no light or drought is able to get in.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 08/13/19 03:56 AM

I've never seen anyone around here use that style of trap, Buck. Interesting.
Posted By: ridgeview72

Re: Tunnel Mole Trap Problems - 08/13/19 04:50 AM

I’ve got 4 tunnel traps I use (second year using traps)...ordered from molecatching.com from over sea’s...ordered a couple first from here in USA but found they were very cheaply made imitation.

Caught first double this fall (two caught in same trap during check). Ended up catching 3 in that trap in two days....was a surface run.

Use a sheet rock saw & cut slits across tunnel about 1/2” narrower than trap...open up turf to clean out run. Use a bent wire to clean out run on each side leading to where tunnel trap is going to be set. I use handle of sheet rock saw to “Firmly” compact bottom of run leading to & under where tunnel trap is to be set. Compacting bottom of run will help keep mole centered with trap, as well as be a deterrent from tunneling under. Put soil on top of trap in center & pack to stabilize...then cover entire trap with layer of loose soil to keep out light & air from entering tunnel.

Traps can also be used in deeper tunnels found by using a probe also. Use a narrow shovel to make vertical cuts across mole tunnel & then make angled cut from both sides to remove plug to exposed mole tunnel.

Since “”Firmly” compacting bottom of mole run & taking extra time to ensure tunnel trap is seated deap enough in mole run so top of mole tunnel is just below trap top success has increase tremendously. Have caught 6 moles & 1 stripped 13 line gopher with tunnel trap this year with only one plugged....caught the mole that plugged the trap next time thru.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums