Home

Rodenticides

Posted By: webfootwhacker

Rodenticides - 06/05/19 03:00 AM

I am not a licensed applicator, but I had a client ask what he should use to control mice in his garage. He said he can no longer find D-con and was looking for a good alternative. I told him I’d see what I could find out and pass it along. All thoughts are welcome.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Rodenticides - 06/05/19 03:26 AM

There are vendors who sell this product and others online. All of us in rural areas are facing this reality of products no longer being available. That is what is the coming attraction in E orders.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Rodenticides - 06/05/19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by webfootwhacker
I am not a licensed applicator, but I had a client ask what he should use to control mice in his garage. He said he can no longer find D-con and was looking for a good alternative. I told him I’d see what I could find out and pass it along. All thoughts are welcome.

Snap traps and try to close up any obvious entry exit point.
Posted By: run

Re: Rodenticides - 06/05/19 11:12 PM

Hogslat sell some 2nd generation rodenticide that I love. What TDHP says is correct.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Rodenticides - 06/05/19 11:58 PM

We buy our rodenticide in 5g buckets. That's not going to help the average homeowner. Look for blocks of rodenticide at the hardware store, read the label and do what it says.

Re: Rodenticides - 06/07/19 04:24 PM

Hogslat sells rodenticide in 4lb. Bags. Some of my rodenticide I buy in big buckets.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Rodenticides - 06/08/19 11:33 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Rodenticides - 06/17/19 08:59 PM

We use fasttrack in the solar fields
It is supposed to reduce secondly ingestion
Posted By: AJE

Re: Rodenticides - 07/21/19 04:11 PM

I don't seem to have good luck with those green blocks.

They love to those green pellets. Oftentimes they seem to just carry the pellets away, but maybe the mouse still dies even if it doesn't technically eat the pellets.

Re: Rodenticides - 07/22/19 11:20 AM

Contrac or tomcat? There are 2 green blocks we see here.

Contrac works great, but you're buying a 5g bucket of it. Tomcat is homeowner grade. Its ok.

Re: Rodenticides - 07/22/19 11:21 AM

They do carry the pellets away, and store them in shoes, and pillowcases, etc. Pellets arent good.

Re: Rodenticides - 07/22/19 09:36 PM

Tomcat

Re: Rodenticides - 07/23/19 10:50 AM

Hawk is also a green block.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Rodenticides - 07/23/19 01:11 PM

Many rodents like to naturally cache things when they feel it will serve them for later food stores.

Pellets give them this opportunity in many cases. Block baits will provide faster control if they find them acceptable.

Some so called high toxicity single feed baits aren't well accepted by some rodents meaning they don't find them very palatable. I always use 3 different baits when baiting in bait stations. Checking lots of stations over time will give you very interesting results on which baits are preferred over the offerings that you have provided. Multi feed baits mixed with singe feed baits are a good combo.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/02/19 12:11 AM

Good idea.

I've never tried 2 different blocks side by side. I probably should.

Maybe I'm overcautious, but I'm careful putting them outside houses because of incidental animals that could get at them. Sometime's I simply crush a soup can with a bait block inside, & I leave a hole big enough for mice to enter. It also helps waterproof them.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/02/19 12:37 AM

We only put block bait in kidproof/dogproof containers. Its not worth the risk.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/05/19 12:31 PM

I use the economy EPA bait stations. Soft bait like fast draw works well if the weather is dry.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/07/19 04:11 AM

When you put the blocks in a garage, do you put them in (or on) something? I've seen people just set them on a shelf or the corner of the garage floor. They can make a mess, & I'm not sure how toxic that d-con or Tomcat type stuff is to cleanup.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/07/19 03:26 PM

Tractor supply sells bait stations to put rat bait in.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Rodenticides - 08/07/19 07:16 PM

The Tom Cat brand blocks have a hole thru the center that I like to nail to something so it can't be dragged off, even up high to barn studs/poles next to a fire block.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/07/19 09:06 PM

We use Tomcat rodent stations on our farm.

Re: Rodenticides - 08/11/19 03:05 AM

Tomcat seems like the go-to brand around here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums