Home

Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em

Posted By: TDHP

Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/05/19 10:32 PM

Sometimes not often, but sometimes it feels like work. It was definitely a hot one up there. Climbing and crawling through openings that were made for the thinner crowd. The reward was worth it though. Thought I'd share for those who are having a tough time with pups and mama. The whole mama won't enter a cage when dealing with their young isn't true, you don't need eviction products and waste time on harassing them to make them move out on their own, unless that's your cup of tea. Too many jobs going on to wait on animals to pack up and leave on their own, trap checks cost time and money.

The longer they remain in the space the more damage they will inflict. Without throwing up a ladder the entry point isn't visible from ground level. The den area was about 60 to 70 feet away from the entry point. Someone attempted to trap mama but failed to do so and then went the harassment route, which only allowed them to tear up the space even more.

Had they identified the access point which was the post with the markings on it, they may have trapped mama or maybe not. Nothing wrong with spending a little time on the job to identify certain markings and gather clues. Goes back to setting yourself up for success.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 12:02 AM

We have a 2700sq ft tearout scheduled for next week. Clients had been ignoring the noises for a while. Years of latrines built up.

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 01:13 AM

I threw a number at them for the clean up but they wanted to go about it themselves, would've been a decent gig. Good luck with the job.

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 08:46 AM

I'm actually dreading it a bit. It's a large hip roof, mobility won't be a problem, but its starting to get hot. We'll throw 3 guys in it in an attempt to move most of it before the tyvek suit resembles a swimming pool.

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 12:41 PM

10-4 on that.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 03:00 PM

Well they're not dogs, so they're not pups! And they're not bears, so they're not cubs, and the certainly do need to be put together, so they're not kits. I prefer "babies" when born and "juveniles" later on. That way the customer actually knows what you're talking about!
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 03:32 PM

Probably juvenile delinquent by the time you are called

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/06/19 05:27 PM

On occasion I'll have to mouth call them to get them to come out or get vocal. During the handling of them I'll refer to them as "pup" "hey pup", just something I've always done, trickles over to referring to them like ^^ on occasion. It seems to keep them calm and easy to work with until they are just about into that juvenile stage, then its all growls and snarls with movement, been doing that for years. I use young/ juveniles in the animal trapped/removed portion for receipt and documenting for the yearly.

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/07/19 01:09 AM

I baby talk skunks when I need to approach an uncovered trap, lol.

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/07/19 11:51 AM

Have tah do what it takes to get it done..within reason. If baby talking critters fills ya cup and helps to put that money in ya pocket, then there's nothing to it, but to do it. I was in Cambridge the other day on a rodent job and there were grown folks baby talking one another right on the streets. It's a trend and growing.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/08/19 12:17 AM

Kitten is the propper term.

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/08/19 11:35 AM

\m/
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 06/08/19 06:40 PM

What did you do with the baby 'coons?

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 07/01/19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper

One of them didn't get around so well. Ended up getting them all including the mother to a rehabber.

Then on jobs like the one below, the mother was trapped overnight then set aside in the shade while I removed her young from the space. Then seal up the opening and release on site.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Coon pups,cubs,kits everyone has a name for em - 07/02/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper

KIll EVERY ONE OF THEM HERE IN OHIO !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums