Home

fisher in the coop, what bait?

Posted By: minklessinpa

fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/03/19 02:39 AM

got a fisher that started to hit the coop and yard.got him on trail cam attacking the ducks. whats a good bait this time of year?
Posted By: AJE

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/03/19 05:34 AM

You can legally nuisance trap fisher? Try some apples.
Posted By: Fatdawg

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/03/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
You can legally nuisance trap fisher? Try some apples.

In PA the control of nuisance fisher must be approved by the Game Commission and conducted by a licensed NWCO.

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/03/19 03:27 PM

§ 141.3. Protection removed under certain circumstances.

(a) General.

(1) Protection is removed from wildlife, except migratory birds, big game and threatened or endangered species, when personal property, other than an agricultural crop, is being destroyed or damaged.

(2) Wildlife may only be taken by the owner or person in charge of the personal property affected.

(3) Wildlife taken to protect personal property shall be taken in a humane and lawful manner.

(b) Disposition.

(1) Wildlife taken to protect personal property shall be turned over to a Commission representative as required in section 2125 of the act (relating to surrender of carcass to commission officer).

(2) Wildlife, or a part thereof, taken under this section, may not be retained alive, sold or given away.

(3) Wildlife taken alive may be relocated to a natural setting unless otherwise restricted or prohibited.

(c) Diseased or sick wildlife.

(1) Protection is removed from wildlife, except migratory birds, big game and threatened or endangered species, when it is obvious that an animal is sick or diseased and poses a threat to human safety, farm animals or pets.

(2) The wildlife may only be taken by, or under the direct supervision of, the person in charge of the property where the threat exists.

(3) The wildlife shall be taken in a safe, expeditious and lawful manner.

(d) Disposition of diseased or sick wildlife.

(1) Wildlife taken under authority of subsection (c) shall be disposed of in one of the following ways:

(i) Buried on the site where taken.

(ii) Destroyed by incineration or other proper disposal.

(iii) Submitted for laboratory analysis.

(2) Wildlife or parts thereof taken under subsection (c) may not be retained alive, sold or given away.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/03/19 04:34 PM

Buy more ducks and let the fisher run free or live trap it and drop it 20 miles from your ducks.

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/03/19 05:38 PM

trying to live trap it. I catch them in season with the box traps, never tried in summer.
Posted By: Fatdawg

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/05/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by minklessinpa

(a) General.

(1) Protection is removed from wildlife, except migratory birds, big game and threatened or endangered species, when personal property, other than an agricultural crop, is being destroyed or damaged.

(2) Wildlife may only be taken by the owner or person in charge of the personal property affected.

(3) Wildlife taken to protect personal property shall be taken in a humane and lawful manner.

(b) Disposition.

(1) Wildlife taken to protect personal property shall be turned over to a Commission representative as required in section 2125 of the act (relating to surrender of carcass to commission officer).

(2) Wildlife, or a part thereof, taken under this section, may not be retained alive, sold or given away.

(3) Wildlife taken alive may be relocated to a natural setting unless otherwise restricted or prohibited.

(1) Protection is removed from wildlife, except migratory birds, big game and threatened or endangered species, when it is obvious that an animal is sick or diseased and poses a threat to human safety, farm animals or pets.

(2) The wildlife may only be taken by, or under the direct supervision of, the person in charge of the property where the threat exists.

(1) Wildlife taken under authority of subsection (c) shall be disposed of in one of the following ways:

(2) Wildlife or parts thereof taken under subsection (c) may not be retained alive, sold or given away.

Bobcat, fisher, otter and beaver still require the approval of the district warden.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/05/19 09:24 PM

Find where the fisher is coming and going or use a drift fence if necessary. They aren't difficult to cage trap in trail sets with two door cage traps being the best traps if you have them.

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/06/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdawg
Originally Posted by minklessinpa

(a) General.

(b) Disposition.

Bobcat, fisher, otter and beaver still require the approval of the district warden.

mine said your a trapper, box trap it and haul it away. why are you bothering me with this trivial stuff!

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/06/19 02:15 AM

What is a drift fence?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/06/19 10:51 AM

It is fencing material used in snow country to hold drifting snow from closing roads etc. You can purchase it at Lowes and Home Depot. It is plastic grid type fencing that can be cut to the height and length ( then staked into place ) as needed. It funnels and directs the travel lanes of animals toward your traps in an area where you aren't sure of its points of entry to a property or a problem etc.

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 08/06/19 10:06 PM

ok, yes, thanks. I know what you're talking about now.
Posted By: Swamp Yankee

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 09/24/19 02:14 AM

Blind set is my chosen method with a cage and off site dispatch, but I want to touch on what your game warden said cage trap it and hual.it away...? Is he suggesting you relocate it because Fisher are a RVS ( RABIES VECTOR SPECIES) which means absolutely no relocation due to the possibility of spreading rabies and as far as I understand this isn't just a Connecticut thing. I just think its irresponsible of a warden to make such a comment if that's what he was suggesting.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 09/25/19 12:32 PM

When possible keeping the bait and trap separate is a good bet. Setting a trail, using a drift fence or making an entry point into a pen (while keeping the live animals separate from the predator) keeps the animals focussed on the prey at a distance rather than focussing on a trap with a bait in the back. With these type of sets you are not relying on bait as an attractant so there will be no maintenance. For many types of trapping keeping trap and attractant separate from the trap works very well. Yesterday two beaver were caught in castor sets with the lure placed from 30 to 50 feet away from the cage traps.
Posted By: don403

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 01/27/20 10:36 PM

hi i am from nh we live trap fisher to give ct more fisher i got 100.00 for males 200.00 for females now they have plenty of fisher thanks to newhamphire,
Posted By: don403

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 01/27/20 10:38 PM

we relocate for ct in the 80,s or 90s
Posted By: TRapper

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 01/29/20 01:47 PM

So as far as bait...use ducks...it is what the animal is coming to the spot for...why use any other bait?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: fisher in the coop, what bait? - 02/04/20 05:31 PM

A dead duck or chicken should work well.The bloodier the better.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums