Home

Control work in the summer

Posted By: Tsouth87

Control work in the summer - 08/13/19 06:45 PM

I recently listened to a pod cast where a man turned down a beaver job for a client bc of the high probability of kits dying of starvation. It was a thought I never had before and I was wondering if you guys had faced this? I wanna get into predator control work, but this topic has struck a nerve with me. On one hand I would like to trap year around, but on the other there is a reason for the season (no pun intended). What are your thoughts?
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/13/19 07:04 PM

What are your thoughts?

Don't let your emotions/personal feelings or opinions interfere with what you're being called to solve with reason. If you don't do it, the next person in line will.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/13/19 10:33 PM

We're hired to solve a problem. Nits make lice.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/13/19 10:36 PM

Oh and this is problem solving not trapping. If I could solve all my clients problems without ever setting a trap again I would.
I'd probably make more money to boot.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/15/19 03:49 PM

If the animals are creating a true problem then they need to be removed.

As stated above, it’s not trapping (wildlife management) it is wildlife control and when there is a problem it must be solved

I wouldn’t trap/remove those animals just because you can, only because it’s necessary
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/15/19 04:55 PM

Each job depends on the situation and the client. If you have a beaver chiseling off maple trees in the front yard or apple trees on the back 40, then that is completely different than someone complaining about a beaver walking around on a lawn and the Disney person thinks it is grizzly what will eat the dog.
Most of the time you are going to face a situation where the young have to be killed one way or the other. It is the reality of control work. Termites have babies too, but most people do not have an affinity like they do with furry things.
There are so many beaver now that it is hard to justify transplanting, as that is in every case dumping an animal which will become a problem for another landowner, and that includes raccoon young. You though are finding out that ADC is not all pleasure. It is hard choices, it is "wasteful" as in most cases the animal will not be utilized. On the other hand though, each animal is killing another plant or animal daily to live, so you are saving those plants and animals too. That outlook might help you as you are probably never going to be the kind of person who will use the reasoning, if you don't do it, someone else will.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/15/19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
If the animals are creating a true problem then they need to be removed.

x2
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Control work in the summer - 08/16/19 02:43 AM

They won't starve. They will come out of the lodge and be quickly eaten by just about anything which eats meat.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums