Home

Beaver job

Posted By: rosscoak

Beaver job - 08/29/19 05:04 AM

Caught the big lactating female this spring and her partner and 1 of 3 kits...saw the 3 kits. They havent repaired dam. I think they were too young to survive at 2 to 3 months old?? Lotsa eagles here...are they able to fend for themselves before they are off the teet?

Another pond has a big female in it that i just cant seem to catch, rarely shows herself of an evening.
Trap shy to 330 and huge. Snare on pass thru set?
I need some insight guys.
Posted By: brisket

Re: Beaver job - 08/29/19 12:35 PM

I'v had beaver not repair the dam during the summer if they still have enough water to feel safe.
spooky beaver usually means foothold in the right spot and some time. Try to make no disturbance to the bank, walk in the water, no guiding no lure. She'll mess up eventually.
Have also had success with a snare covering every crawl out near the lodge with a couple drops of sacoil at each one
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Beaver job - 08/30/19 03:51 AM

[Linked Image]

When the 330’s get tippped over....its time for a foot hold and drowning slide
Posted By: AJE

Re: Beaver job - 09/04/19 03:32 AM

How deep of water is needed for Nessmuck's set?
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Beaver job - 09/04/19 12:35 PM

snares!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver job - 09/04/19 01:09 PM

Regarding water deep enough for drowning set.... at least above the knee preferable hip height. It also depends on front foot caught or back foot caught.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Beaver job - 09/05/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman
snares!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Beaver job - 09/07/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

if ya set for front foot catch, you could get away with knee deep-ish
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Beaver job - 09/07/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

4 feet....to be safe
Posted By: forester79

Re: Beaver job - 09/09/19 11:27 AM

I'll push my luck fur trapping. Hip boot depth at the minimum. Adc work at least 4 ft. I think the cold water in the spring makes it possible to get away with less water. When the water is warm you have to make sure and get them down and out quick
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Beaver job - 09/09/19 01:20 PM

i wouldn't worry about water depth, personally.
just dispatch it.........same as when you run a drag for beavers, like the Boss teaches.

maybe you should try blind trail sets with snares or footholds.

or floating log set with snares

or leaning pole snare set.........surely you have Beaver Sites and Sets dvd showing this!......didn't you get the memo to ask loved ones to get it for a present last Christmas?..there's always birthday or anniversary!
Posted By: AJE

Re: Beaver job - 09/10/19 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
i wouldn't worry about water depth, personally.
just dispatch it.........

One can 'just dispatch it,' but would have to check the trap daily in most states if it's not on a drowner setup. Maybe the landowner can help check the trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums