Home

nets. . . do you use them?

Posted By: oneoldboot

nets. . . do you use them? - 09/02/19 10:48 PM

I am new to ADC and have pondered getting a net. Do you use them? If so, what brand?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/02/19 11:16 PM

I use them more for birds and bat removal. For mammals loose in a house or trailer house I set small cage traps along the walls in the suspected area that the animal may be. Once traps are set for the right sized animal I begin moving things around to disturb the animal then he runs into one of the traps in most cases.
Posted By: warrior

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/03/19 12:02 AM

I have one for birds and bats but rarely use it. It's one of those never need until it's not there tools.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/03/19 01:53 AM

I use one very little
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/04/19 12:31 AM

Never used one. If I had one, I could be tempted to use it. I dont carry a catch pole for similar reasons.

Used to work for a company that would tell customers that I'll crawl under that deck and catch the skunk with a pole. Nope. Not gonna happen. We don't run our company that way, but I dont want to give anybody ideas.
Posted By: NWTrapper85

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/04/19 02:33 AM

I own a couple when I first got started. I'm still fairly green but have not had to use them yet. Not sure feel good about what to do with a full size raccoon in a net.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/07/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by oneoldboot
I am new to ADC and have pondered getting a net. Do you use them? If so, what brand?

[Linked Image]

That’s a cool net. First time I’ve seen one like that. I don’t use dip nets, but I’d sure get one like that if I did (or ever do).

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I use them more for birds and bat removal. For mammals loose in a house or trailer house I set small cage traps along the walls in the suspected area that the animal may be. Once traps are set for the right sized animal I begin moving things around to disturb the animal then he runs into one of the traps in most cases.

Now that’s a great post. Informative. If I did that kind of work, I’d definitely want to keep something like that in my bag of tricks. Sounds like a good idea for times that call for it.
Posted By: Joe Taylor

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/07/19 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
I have one for birds and bats but rarely use it. It's one of those never need until it's not there tools.

Agreed. I can almost always grab the bat using something smaller, so carrying it as part of your “bat search and recover” gear is cumbersome. The positive feature of a net is that it covers a wider area during a retrieval. This helps when you need assurance that you’ll get the bat with no funny business. Like two weeks ago when I was called to retrieve a bat hanging from the ceiling in a church during a funeral. Fortunately the bat was in a side hallway, but there was just zero room allowed for something to go wrong.

By the way, I can’t tell from the net pic, but in my opinion the bat net must be on a telescoping pole. Keep looking if this one doesn’t telescope.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: nets. . . do you use them? - 09/07/19 02:38 AM

Tomahawk Model SN203 Standard Dura-Flex Net w/ 5 foot shaft- https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/SN203.html
© 2024 Trapperman Forums